XFileSharing Pro - Backup facility for File Hosting i need some advice please.

Mega B

Backup facility for File Hosting i need some advice please.

#1 Postby Mega B » Oct 25, 2009 11:02 am

Hi,i run this script but i am very wary about being hit by either a hacker or trojans and loosing all the site details and file so what i am looking for is some advice on what people use to backup the main site,do you have any backup system in place like say a vps server to back up the main dedicated/s or what do you use i could do with some advice on this one please.
I feel that if people are paying me to host valuable data on the site i need some form of reliable backup so can you help or advice on what to do please.

Thanks

webzi

#2 Postby webzi » Oct 25, 2009 11:44 am

Make backup ex. 10TB it's very expensive, but you can use RAID 0/1 on your server. It's safe when you lose your data.

ankurs

#3 Postby ankurs » Oct 25, 2009 12:22 pm

webzi wrote:Make backup ex. 10TB it's very expensive, but you can use RAID 0/1 on your server. It's safe when you lose your data.
Raid doesnt help , he wants a offsite backup .

Google for R1soft and build a big backup server something like this :

http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/pe ... ud-storage

Mega B

#4 Postby Mega B » Oct 25, 2009 12:50 pm

That is some great information and worth taking a look at,what do other people use for say a smaller setup as when they have say 3-5 servers which can be cheap these days but if you have say 5 server do you have a total of 10 in a raid format you can tell this is not my major forte but my mind is telling me that if your setup has 5 servers you must have 5 backup servers and that is why i mentioned about cheaper vps servers as the price for the 10 in theory to run it would take all your revenue profits if that makes sense.

And as we all fully understand we have to run it as a profit or not at all.

Can some of the smaller guys say how they get over this potential expensive problem.

ankurs

#5 Postby ankurs » Oct 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Mega B wrote:That is some great information and worth taking a look at,what do other people use for say a smaller setup as when they have say 3-5 servers which can be cheap these days but if you have say 5 server do you have a total of 10 in a raid format you can tell this is not my major forte but my mind is telling me that if your setup has 5 servers you must have 5 backup servers and that is why i mentioned about cheaper vps servers as the price for the 10 in theory to run it would take all your revenue profits if that makes sense.

And as we all fully understand we have to run it as a profit or not at all.

Can some of the smaller guys say how they get over this potential expensive problem.
you dont need a backup server per FS , u can backup multiple FS data to onebackup server ; you just need lot of storage capacity on ur backup server.

HDDs are cheap now, just make sure your backup server is running some kinda raid atleast RAID6 .