XFileSharing Pro - Best approach for a new file host site and more questions :)

nutella

Best approach for a new file host site and more questions :)

#1 Postby nutella » Aug 21, 2012 11:28 am

Looking into hosting a fileshare website but I have a few questions before I get started:

Hosting:
What dedi specs would you get as a minimum for the first server you host with?

Question: Expansion:
How complicated is expanding from 1 server to several? Is it easily configured?

Let me know :)
Cheers.

FZee

#2 Postby FZee » Aug 21, 2012 3:54 pm

There's 'countless' and 'countless' threads on this forum regarding your question already.

"Search" is your friend. Be with it.

PowerChaos

#3 Postby PowerChaos » Aug 21, 2012 11:02 pm

it all depends what you want to do and what you want to have

do you use a lot of space ?? like 2TB
or do you just host a lot of small files ??

the server also depends on differend things
do you aim to upgrade later on or do you want to start with a server that can handle a few "upgrades" before you need to upgrade

also it depends on your budget , do you got a low budget ( like 200€ ) or a high budget ( like 600€ ) that you are willing to spend to your start server

to explain this in short , here are 2 server examples taken from http://dehost.org/dedicated.html

Core 2 Quad 6600 for 115€ (not avaible anymore )
it got 800 GB hd ( 2X 400 GB) so it is a good start server

but if you got massive traffic then you need to buy extra options like a dedicated 100mbit line or a gigabit line (can incrase price a lot , up to 300€ for the server )

it also depends on the users you are having that are downloading at the same time , because the lower ram (8GB ) can it handle XX amount of users before you get ram errors/cpu errors
the diskspeed should be able to keep up
here is a little test i dit (hdparm -tT /dev/sda ) of my webserver ( SCSI )

Code: Select all

Timing cached reads:   24100 MB in  2.00 seconds = 12074.14 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  346 MB in  3.01 seconds = 115.11 MB/sec

so if you say that the hd/ram/cpu is to low , then you need to upgrade and move all files (if you want to keep them) or buy a second server

in my case i would already start with a bigger server like the Intel I7 920 (130€ ) with 2TB hd ( 2X 1TB ) and 12GB ram and 8 cores ( 4 psy and 4 treads ) so it give better cpu performance
also the ram that is higher would allow to get more connections at the same time before the server stops responding or becomes unstable

anyway

for the server it just depends on differend factors and where you use the server for , so it is hard to deside on your information

then for your other question,
it is easy to add more servers , its the same way i use to move a server to a other server (new server id , easy to reconise if something goes wrong)

hopely this helps you
Greetings From PowerChaos

nutella

#4 Postby nutella » Aug 22, 2012 1:00 am

FZee wrote:There's 'countless' and 'countless' threads on this forum regarding your question already.

"Search" is your friend. Be with it.
This is new :P
PowerChaos wrote: Greetings From PowerChaos
Thanks dude! :)

trinsic

#5 Postby trinsic » Aug 23, 2012 4:35 am

Start small, XFS can easily run it's front-end on a VPS around 512-768MB RAM and a dedicated CPU core.

File servers can easily be run on Atom servers to start off on. Atom's will easily saturate a 100MBps connection. If you get bigger then you can move on up to higher specs.

superbia

#6 Postby superbia » Aug 28, 2012 10:17 pm

trinsic wrote:Start small, XFS can easily run it's front-end on a VPS around 512-768MB RAM and a dedicated CPU core.

File servers can easily be run on Atom servers to start off on. Atom's will easily saturate a 100MBps connection. If you get bigger then you can move on up to higher specs.
thats a very nice post.