XFileSharing Pro - Can I start only with VPS servers? And about FDC SERVERS?

tomaz

Can I start only with VPS servers? And about FDC SERVERS?

#1 Postby tomaz » May 23, 2010 3:49 am

Can I start only with VPS servers?
For example:
Site Host: 1 VPS (256MB ram)
file host: 1 VPS(512MB ram)

This idea is only for the first month.

And about FDC SERVERS (www.fdcservers.net)? This is a good host? Anybody have your site hosted there?

dotceo

#2 Postby dotceo » May 23, 2010 4:29 am

I started with a server from FDC, but found that the link was too unreliable...I would have a lot of drops... You really don't need a full GigE when you're starting... Your HDD's wont be able to pump the data out fast enough to justify a full GigE...

Make sure you plan properly so you can scale up easy without having to hop from Datacenter to Datacenter.

tomaz

#3 Postby tomaz » May 23, 2010 5:43 am

dotceo wrote:I started with a server from FDC, but found that the link was too unreliable...I would have a lot of drops... You really don't need a full GigE when you're starting... Your HDD's wont be able to pump the data out fast enough to justify a full GigE...

Make sure you plan properly so you can scale up easy without having to hop from Datacenter to Datacenter.
Can you indicate me a good host?

dotceo

#4 Postby dotceo » May 23, 2010 11:58 am

100TB.com I heard good things about them... Affordable and 100TB is way more then enough for what you might actually use when you're just starting out... Plus they have a solid Data Center backing them. Some people will tell you they don't host file site, but trust me, they do.

Also, FDC is good because I recently got an email from them stating that they got a new carrier "TELIA" so this helps them a lot...

Here is the message:

FDCServers will be adding 4x10Gbps of Telia transit to its BGP mix. We plan to add 2x10GE in Chicago and 2x10GE in Denver.
New connections will be added either on June 1st or July 1st 2010

Hope this helps...

tomaz

#5 Postby tomaz » May 23, 2010 7:28 pm

dotceo wrote:100TB.com I heard good things about them... Affordable and 100TB is way more then enough for what you might actually use when you're just starting out... Plus they have a solid Data Center backing them. Some people will tell you they don't host file site, but trust me, they do.

Also, FDC is good because I recently got an email from them stating that they got a new carrier "TELIA" so this helps them a lot...

Here is the message:

FDCServers will be adding 4x10Gbps of Telia transit to its BGP mix. We plan to add 2x10GE in Chicago and 2x10GE in Denver.
New connections will be added either on June 1st or July 1st 2010

Hope this helps...
Thanks!

But and about start with VPS? How many connections a VPS support?

dotceo

#6 Postby dotceo » May 23, 2010 8:45 pm

It really all depends on where you want to take your site right? If you're doing this as a hobby then yes get it started see how it goes, but if you're thinking of making this a service that could potentially bring in a lot of traffic then I would set it up differently.

This is what I'd recommend you do to get started:

1. Get a cheap VPS nothing fancy and install XFS on there and turn off uploading. (This will be your Web Application Server)(nginx needs to be specified in the index.cgi but doesn't have to be installed on this server)

2. Get a dedicated server from wherever you want but preferably from the same datacenter as the VSP and Add New Server on XFS in the admin tools. This will be your storage server. Also buy the NGINX modification for this server from Sibsoft. You don't need to pay ridiculous prices for Unmetered servers... Just make sure you are able to change to an unmetered option mid billing if you see your traffic going crazy.

Make sure you know what hardware you're buying because that could be your bottleneck as you start to grow.

The reason why I suggest you do it this way is because as your site gets busier, there will be a lot of usage (bandwidth and disk) and it'll be a nightmare trying to get your stuff out of the single server in to a better server without experiencing downtime.

This is coming from Personal experience.

Our setup is a whole different world, but we're pushing out ~600GB an hour all day long.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any further questions.
Last edited by dotceo on May 24, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomaz

#7 Postby tomaz » May 23, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm sorry for bothering you with so many questions ;/

But how much of ram and cpu each download process uses?
it's an important question for choose the better hardware settings for my project.

Thanks again!

dotceo

#8 Postby dotceo » May 23, 2010 10:48 pm

It's no problem because a lot of people will benefit from this information even if they don't say it.

Well it all really depends on the amount of traffic you have... The reason why I advise you to get the NGINX module installed... With the config I suggested, you wont have problems with the site being slow, just the downloads will slow down as the site gets busier.

It's hard to give you a full hardware spec since I don't know what your budget for this project is...

Make sure you back up your web application server everyday... The storage server will get to big to back up at some point. However; there are other technologies out there to back up your storage piece.

Oswaldt

#9 Postby Oswaldt » May 30, 2010 6:06 pm

What is the NGINX module?

I'm currently shopping for a second dedicated server because my first one is already running a big site on it so I need to get a second one asap.

I need help with this whole process...

is there any way I can contact your through email? (dotceo)

with 100tb.com they offer a 1000mbit connection right? so I won't have to worry about the download speed going down if multiple users download at the same time, right?

I'm thinking of going with their Ember plan with is their 201$ plan.

I'd like to share my situation with you dotceo so you can help me out (if you want..)

Thanks

dotceo

#10 Postby dotceo » May 30, 2010 8:38 pm

Oswaldt

#11 Postby Oswaldt » May 30, 2010 11:27 pm

I need help figuring out my server needs and some help concerning the script itself.

I received an email from a user today with feedback
I have some feedbacks for you :).
1. Resumable download is a must for every file hosting.
2. The upload speed is quite disappointing to me. I have 1MB/s in mediafire, 300KB/s in box.net and not more than 80KB/s in your Vaultshare.
3. Your host should support download-accelerators.
4. I have an advice that you should let the free users feel like theyre treated like premium ones but have some certain disadvantages like : files will be deleted in 30 days after last downloads, storage is limited (but still enough), etc.
5. I cannot finish my upload. It stops at 99%. I tried a few times before telling you.
Just a few thoughts i want to share.
I'm not an expert when it comes to those things....if I could get someone to help me out it would be great.

I'm not very familiar with this script and I need someone that knows this script well to help me out.

dotceo

#12 Postby dotceo » May 30, 2010 11:53 pm

So vaultshare.com is your website?

Who is your host right now?

What are you trying to get out of this "business"?

Can you afford it? (no offence by this but the reality is that the file hosting business is expensive)

Oswaldt

#13 Postby Oswaldt » May 31, 2010 12:28 am

Yes I can afford it.

Vaultshare.com is my site, yes.

What I'm trying to get out of this "business" is success.

I have many contacts concerning websites that would use my site so the money will not be a problem because I can get the money rather quickly.

I approach music blogs and other websites that rely 100% on file hosts so I actually feed off 99.9% of their traffic. (Clever eh? hehe) which cuts down my marketing cost by nearly 100%.

I also own Wegotitfirst.com which is also a big website. At the moment, Vaultshare is hosted on the same server as Wegotitfirst.com and it runs okay since the server is good enough.

However, I need to add a server soon because I am expanding quickly.

You may wonder why I wouldn't stay with my current host to host vaultshare, he is kind of expensive and since file hosting uses a LOT of resources, I am shopping around for other hosts ( which is why I am thinking of going with 100tb.com)

I need help with script issues mostly.

dotceo

#14 Postby dotceo » May 31, 2010 2:02 am

Ok good stuff...

Well First thing I would do before starting the advertising for your site... You should get it designed properly. Sibsoft has a lot of designs that you can buy off them or you could get a custom design...

You don't want to spend money on a huge network of servers with no traffic... 100TB.com is a good choice... Don't pay for unmetered because you wont need for a while.

Will you be streaming video?

Recommendation is that you get a very entry level server... This server will be a SANDBOX where you can play with the script, get the design done (if you wanted to get that done) and figure out all the issues... Because once your site goes live... and you start fixing things and moving things you'll know what the outcome will be with little to no interruptions to the end-user.

Once you have everything set with everything you might require, then you deploy servers for the LIVE site.

Right now you don't need Solid State HDD's and Quad-Core servers and all the other shit that others will recommend. You need to get a solid plan and path to follow prior to investing all this money in to a business with no direction.

Oswaldt

#15 Postby Oswaldt » May 31, 2010 2:45 pm

I need help with the script mostly right now,

I believe the site is designed okay for the moment, colors are different etc

But I need help the script because the site needs to please the people as much as possible.

Do you know the script?