XFileSharing Pro - Disk I/O low performances - Page 2

KlausRo

#16 Postby KlausRo » Mar 02, 2013 2:39 pm

More RAM won't help, from what I can see in the provided prtscr, 90% of RAM is not used, its only cached, and the SWAP space is not used at all.

However, the disk usage(IO wait) was very high 102%, this was most probably the thing that slows the speeds(if the host allows it).

I can also see that on that moment you were doing about 23 MB/s upload, which is not bad, but of course is lower than what you expected.

What I recommend in order to further analyze this, is to install sar(sysstat) resource monitoring utility, and also vnstat. After some hours, days are passing, you can check the resource usage history, and also the bandwidth usage history. You can analyze in what conditions of server resource usage you achieve higher or lower upload speeds, and have some clear conclusion. However, from how this looks, you may need another server.

PM me if any questions.

PilgrimX182

#17 Postby PilgrimX182 » Mar 04, 2013 3:12 am

RAM could help a bit since most-used files are cached in memory by OS. Also we can tune NGINX a bit to use RAM for caching better. But it won't give you much boost for sure.

SSD drives is good solution for high IO projects, but not cheap and not much space you can get with them. We've made custom mods for some of our clients to move most-used files only to SSD drive, so load on HDD drops a lot. Got very good speeds with this configuration - up to 5-10 Gbps from one server.

traqck

#18 Postby traqck » Apr 11, 2013 2:04 pm

upmaster > Possible to have your contact infos ?

rawrkee

#19 Postby rawrkee » Apr 18, 2013 8:38 pm

traqck wrote:Yup.

I think the problem is not the server, performances are good. The problem is the uplink; they limit bandwidth during the evening so the server can't use full 1gbps uplink. Switching to an unmetered 1gbps dedicated line soon ;)
How can you tell if they limit bandwidth usage?