XUpload - Error message when uploading large files.

ap

Error message when uploading large files.

#1 Postby ap » Jan 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Here is one for you. Script works great, emails get sent out. Everyone is happy. However, when we upload a very large file, say 125mb, and the script goes through the process, the progress bar completes, and the script still runs for maybe 20 seconds more, than an upload failed message appears. However, completion emails do get sent out, and the file is in the upload directory. Everything seems to work, except for the upload failed message.

Smaller files, no problems, no error messages, transfer complete successful. Any ideas.

ap

#2 Postby ap » Jan 15, 2007 7:21 pm

Tried something new. Commented out this line inside upload.cgi: "local $SIG{__DIE__} = 'CleanUp';". Also increased asp timeouts on the windows server. Had a successful large file upload. Will still test. Has anyone else had this problem?

PilgrimX182

#3 Postby PilgrimX182 » Jan 16, 2007 6:17 am

Windows server is evil :)
Check out your free space left.
And yea, can comment these lines:

Code: Select all

$SIG{HUP} = 'IGNORE';
local $SIG{__DIE__} = 'CleanUp';

ap

#4 Postby ap » Jan 16, 2007 7:17 pm

Both lines are commented out. I tried again last night remotely, still errors out after it looked like it completed, progress bar at 100%. I can only test remotely; the large files take about 40 minutes to upload, that is when it errors. If I do the same test internal to the network, it works fine, only a few minutes because of the fast speeds... Does it have to do something with time limits, etc? I increased time values on the web server to all cgi scripts to 5 hours. Also in all cases, when it errors, the file still gets uploaded and the email delivered. Not sure what is going on. Will test again tonight. More thoughts on this are appreciated.

ap

#5 Postby ap » Jan 16, 2007 8:16 pm

More news. I am able to duplicate the problem internal to the network. If I upload two files, each 125mb, the dialog will process 1 of 2, after a while, the process bar will be pinged at 100% after a few minutes of uploading, error failed will be displayed, dialog window stays there, after a few minutes it disappears, the system uploaded the two files and delivered the email messages.

If I upload smaller files total, the system transfers successful, no errors.

Looking for some help. Seems to be a problem with larger files and time of uploading taking 8 minutes or more. All window server iis function have long times, 5 hours to all scripts. Other FTP upload scripts with same files work with no errors. Like to use this one for easier use, better handling and graphic display as well as safari support. Thanks.

Windows is all we have, :cry:

ap

#6 Postby ap » Jan 16, 2007 9:43 pm

Also, I am wondering if the script is struggling if the network or internet slows down, lets say to 49kbps. Does script get confused? If I change the line "if($curr_time-$modif_time>30) # 30 seconds without filesize modification means upload failure" to a very high number under the upload_status.cgi script, will this help the script to reconnect to the sever and make the prgress bar and status window operate correctly. Just some food for thought.

PilgrimX182

#7 Postby PilgrimX182 » Jan 17, 2007 6:42 am

Ah, got it. Had prolem like this months ago - the issue is that temp file copying from temp folder to uploads. This take a lot of time for huge files. I think that's it. On linux we can just move that file, but windows lock it and we have to copy. Increasing Timeout value (the one you've found) will help for sure.

Also try this: in upload.cgi add this above "my ($files_saved,@files);":

&lmsg("MSG: Upload complete. Saving files...");

ap

#8 Postby ap » Jan 17, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks, I will try.

davidbred

#9 Postby davidbred » Aug 28, 2007 6:18 pm

PilgrimX182 wrote:Ah, got it. Had prolem like this months ago - the issue is that temp file copying from temp folder to uploads. This take a lot of time for huge files. I think that's it. On linux we can just move that file, but windows lock it and we have to copy. Increasing Timeout value (the one you've found) will help for sure.

Also try this: in upload.cgi add this above "my ($files_saved,@files);":

&lmsg("MSG: Upload complete. Saving files...");
Note that if you're on a linux system and have a temp dir and a target dir on different file systems (like I did) you also run into this problem. It took me a while to figure out exactly what was going on. Hope this helps someone else.