XFileSharing Pro - Experienced Members Only, Need Your Help!

beeman1212

Experienced Members Only, Need Your Help!

#1 Postby beeman1212 » Sep 01, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm running a private/small filehost for nearly half a year now and have been using 2 dedi 1gbps NL servers from leaseweb.

Most of my users are from USA//Canada//Aus and I've had a couple complaints about slow download speeds and I notice it too when I download from a web browser (using a download manager significantly increases the speed but some users report even that doesn't help).

The servers are not even close to being overloaded, on avg only 20mbit/sec out everyday and about 300gb daily BW usage.

I'm beginning to regret having servers located in NL and I hope some experienced members here can offer me any suggestions to this problem. Should I just move my servers to USA but is it safe? Would upgrading to 10gbps even help? (this would put me at a loss probably. )

Any suggestions, thoughts, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Showfom

#2 Postby Showfom » Sep 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Use TCP Acceleration, contact xtom.com for more information.

We use their acceleration, and every user can get max speed.

beeman1212

#3 Postby beeman1212 » Sep 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks Showfom!

I've contacted xtom, hopefully that will help my situation.

Any other suggestions by experienced members would be great.

iceoptimist

#4 Postby iceoptimist » Sep 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Did you optimize your server at start with the help of a linux administrator? Do you have Nginx?

Moving your servers to USA is not safe at all..they will seize your things without delay and they don't need any orders to get this done. Leaseweb provides good servers and 1 Gbps is good speed

gLoad

#5 Postby gLoad » Sep 01, 2012 9:00 pm

This may depend on a lot of things:

low end disk subsystem on your server, software config, just to name two important ones.

Also, Leaseweb offer two type of bandwidth, Volume (cheaper) and Premium (Expensive): you probably use the first and this may influence your overseas users.

Upgrading to 10gbps would be a waste of money.

beeman1212

#6 Postby beeman1212 » Sep 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Gload, you're correct, my bandwidth is called volume, do you know how much extra premium costs?

I've installed nginx mod but I handle the server management by myself, I've never hired a real linux admin, maybe I will try that as well. Does anyone know/recommend a company/linux admin to optimize my servers?

Thanks everyone!

beeman1212

#7 Postby beeman1212 » Sep 02, 2012 3:31 am

I got some help from rack911 guys, they have great support. Anyways, they told me it's difficult to have good download speeds when the latency is high. Basically, the location is just too far away to places like Australia and west coast of USA.

How do some of the bigger filehosts here manage that? Do none of you have US servers?

Mr_parham

#8 Postby Mr_parham » Sep 02, 2012 8:29 am

How low is their speed??
Ask them to download a file from
http://www.cachefly.com/
and compare it with download speed they get from your servers

gLoad

#9 Postby gLoad » Sep 02, 2012 12:53 pm

beeman1212 wrote:Gload, you're correct, my bandwidth is called volume, do you know how much extra premium costs?
To see the extra to pay for premium, go on Leaseweb website, select the server you have bought, and on the bandwidth section you should choose between volume and premium. The price will change depending on your choice. If it's not available ask your service provider about this.

Being this option just a matter of routing, probably they can add it instantly without service interruption.

Also, you don't say nothing about your hardware config: if you have just a few sata disk, and hundreds of users accessing many small files at a time, this may be part of the problem too.

iceoptimist

#10 Postby iceoptimist » Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm

gLoad wrote:This may depend on a lot of things:

low end disk subsystem on your server, software config, just to name two important ones.

Also, Leaseweb offer two type of bandwidth, Volume (cheaper) and Premium (Expensive): you probably use the first and this may influence your overseas users.

Upgrading to 10gbps would be a waste of money.
gLoad -> Both Volume and Premium offer same 1Gbps speed, why would anyone bother paying for Premium which is like more than twice the price of 1Gbps connection? Instead, won't it be better to just get 2Gbps connection (volume) for the price of 1 Gbpsv(premium)?
I read what they have described about volume and premium..but i still can't think what kind of improvements premium will provide? please share your wisdom here :)

gLoad

#11 Postby gLoad » Sep 02, 2012 4:38 pm

iceoptimist wrote: gLoad -> Both Volume and Premium offer same 1Gbps speed, why would anyone bother paying for Premium which is like more than twice the price of 1Gbps connection? Instead, won't it be better to just get 2Gbps connection (volume) for the price of 1 Gbpsv(premium)?
I read what they have described about volume and premium..but i still can't think what kind of improvements premium will provide? please share your wisdom here :)
The problem here is that having a network card that can sustain a speed of 2Gbps is useless if you don't have a fast server with fast disks that can fill this network connection with data.

The wisdom pearl you requested :): It's like having a pipe that can sustain a thousand liters/seconds of water, but only having a pump that can send 20 liters through it.

You should increase not only the pipe capacity but even the pump capacity...

Also notice that I said that Volume network MAY influence overseas performance.

iceoptimist

#12 Postby iceoptimist » Sep 02, 2012 8:19 pm

gLoad wrote:
iceoptimist wrote: gLoad -> Both Volume and Premium offer same 1Gbps speed, why would anyone bother paying for Premium which is like more than twice the price of 1Gbps connection? Instead, won't it be better to just get 2Gbps connection (volume) for the price of 1 Gbpsv(premium)?
The problem here is that having a network card that can sustain a speed of 2Gbps is useless if you don't have a fast server with fast disks that can fill this network connection with data.

The wisdom pearl you requested :): It's like having a pipe that can sustain a thousand liters/seconds of water, but only having a pump that can send 20 liters through it.

You should increase not only the pipe capacity but even the pump capacity...

Also notice that I said that Volume network MAY influence overseas performance.
Thanks for the info.
1 Gbps volume also guarantees 1Gbps...so even if its premium..it will still give 1Gbps. Thats why i don't see a point in getting premium from Leaseweb.

I think his servers need serious tweaking.

gLoad

#13 Postby gLoad » Sep 03, 2012 8:10 am

iceoptimist wrote: Thanks for the info.
1 Gbps volume also guarantees 1Gbps...so even if its premium..it will still give 1Gbps. Thats why i don't see a point in getting premium from Leaseweb.

I think his servers need serious tweaking.
Yes, this is so true! But when congestion occur, maybe Leaseweb may decide to cap Volume bandwidth and not Premium bandwidth, especially for International connections...

Bye