XUpload - Feature Request - Page 3

provisia

feature request:

#31 Postby provisia » Mar 03, 2008 12:46 am

After the user types in (or browses for) a file name, if the file is an image, display a thumbnail of the image next to the filename BEFORE the uploading starts - this is to enable to user to correctly enter description information without having to remember what the image was when he/she browsed for it.

In my case it would be to describe how many 4x6s or 5x7s or 8x10s etc.. to print.

Thanks (any ideas would be greatly appreciated!)

Mike

PilgrimX182

Re: feature request:

#32 Postby PilgrimX182 » Mar 03, 2008 7:42 am

provisia wrote:After the user types in (or browses for) a file name, if the file is an image, display a thumbnail of the image next to the filename BEFORE the uploading starts - this is to enable to user to correctly enter description information without having to remember what the image was when he/she browsed for it.
Played with it some time ago - this worked only in IE6. Not even sure works now in IE7. So don't think I will add this feature.

tommy

Re: feature request

#33 Postby tommy » Mar 03, 2008 3:42 pm

PUSH :D
tommy wrote:I think the most xupload users would like to fetch a file via http/ftp :)

tommy

provisia

re: most users would like to..

#34 Postby provisia » Mar 03, 2008 4:44 pm

I agree that most users would like to transfer files with this application and that is exactly what I am using it for. I'm building an online photo ordering system so thumbnails would have been great.

I believe that I can still do this though.

Mike

wshafer

Couple of suggestions

#35 Postby wshafer » Mar 25, 2008 8:27 pm

I have a couple of suggestions that I'd like to share.

1) Allow for an optional JS config file. For the ideas below

2) Allow the upload to be optional and set in a config file or something. If optional and no DL is present the data should just pass through the script. I know I can change the form.action (thanks for that tid bit) but that means separate JS files for each upload page. Not very efficient.

3) Simplify the way to add multiple forms to the page. Example Tiny2 doesn't place nice with multiple forms at all. A lot of hacking was involved to get this somewhat working and I have yet been successful to get it completely operational. It seems that this should be as simple as coping the form where ever it's needed, or simply pointing to file input id in an existing form.

4) Instead of a redirected background post to php, perhaps in the new config file you can specify a custom JS function call instead. This would allow for the completed upload data to be re-rerouted through custom AJAX scripts.

5) Update the program so that all file paths and urls can be entered in the config files. This will help the ones using mod-rewrite to get the default images and html files. The rewrite is causing problems accessing blank.html and all the images files and I suspect that this is why the templates are not working either.

6) Better documentation. The Examples are a good place to start, but more detail on how the forms can be written and customized would be greatly appreciated.

#3 got me thinking. Since you can choose AJAX as the method for the progress bar, what about using AJAX to replace an input file id with the values of the upload? This would mean that you wouldn't need a separate form at all, and could be easily integrated into existing forms. For instance I have the following form:

Code: Select all

<form action="someScriptHere.cgi" method="post" name="myform" id="xIDone">
   <input type="file" name="uploadOne">
   <input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit">
</form>

<script>
   iniXupload('xIDone');
</script>
if called like this Xupload.js could replace the input feild with the Xupload form and then once the upload is complete replace the form with the file data. Then there would be no need to have seperate configs for each upload form. Simply pointing the file input to XUpload.js should be enough.

Anyway these are just thoughts, and if you have a quick and easy way to get multiple tiny2 forms on one page please let me know.

Thanks
Westin[/code]