XFileSharing Pro - Help, host site on new server with no downtime.

RockDiz

Help, host site on new server with no downtime.

#1 Postby RockDiz » Mar 14, 2012 5:29 am

I'm quite sure this topic has not been brought up since it's sort of a unique problem.

my site is hosted on server A.
I'm trying to move the site to server B with no downtime and make sure no files are lost within the process.
I've edited my hosts file on my PC to access the site as through server B to make sure the site is fully functional before I proceed with the server transfer.
server B is fully functional but there is one problem.
When I upload files, there are no links displayed as a successfully uploaded file and the file is not listed in the files list. When I switch back to server A, I can see the uploaded file and I'm able to successfully stream it.

Hopefully you were able to follow me on this,
Thanks for your time.

any and all suggestions are appreciated :D

RockDiz

#2 Postby RockDiz » Mar 14, 2012 6:04 am

So I realized that server B is uploading and updating the database on server A. So when it tries to create a link to that file, it is not able to since it's looking for the file info in the database on server B. any idea what I might be missing?

verzing

#3 Postby verzing » Mar 14, 2012 6:47 am

I think this thread can help you
http://sibsoft.net/forum/how-to-moving- ... t3642.html
(yes, I had moved my site to new server without down time)

RockDiz

#4 Postby RockDiz » Mar 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks, but I already know that.
My site is currently live to many users so if i simply just changed the DNS, some users are gonna see the old server for a while and some will see the new server. so files will be lost if users see the old server since DNS takes up to 72hrs to complete i think. But yeah, that's not the issue I'm talking about though.

I'm saying that i'm testing the site on the new server (server B) to see if it all works correctly. when I upload a file through the new server (sever B), it updates the database in the old server, server A. so it's unable to generate a link for me since it's looking for the link in the database server B. Kinda confusing but to my knowledge that is what's happening.
verzing wrote:I think this thread can help you
http://sibsoft.net/forum/how-to-moving- ... t3642.html
(yes, I had moved my site to new server without down time)

destruct

#5 Postby destruct » Mar 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Sounds like your DNS hasn't updated for the new server.. and if it has go to "servers" and make sure "server B" is the IP listed.

You can also do a DNS work around that way users see Server B right away. Just need to change the "A" entry from the old server to the new IP.

RockDiz

#6 Postby RockDiz » Mar 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Yeah, I think it has something to do with the DNS as well. I think I just fixed the problem but may take up to 3 days since DNS takes forever -_-
destruct wrote:Sounds like your DNS hasn't updated for the new server.. and if it has go to "servers" and make sure "server B" is the IP listed.

You can also do a DNS work around that way users see Server B right away. Just need to change the "A" entry from the old server to the new IP.

chrda

#7 Postby chrda » Mar 14, 2012 10:26 pm

If you had your domain linked to dnsmadeeasy.com you can change the TTL to 1800 Sec , much easier to change dns stuff with that.