XFileSharing Pro - Load balance for downloading

venture89

Load balance for downloading

#1 Postby venture89 » Sep 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Hello, We are running a video site using XFS and currently uploads are load balanced (i.e all uploads are evenly sent to available File servers).

However, sometimes popular files end up in a single server and the bandwidth (1Gbps) is maxed out and it starts buffering to all.

It does not matter how many files servers you have because your bottle-neck is still the 1Gbps per server. Let's say you have 10 files servers but most popular files are in file-server #5. This issue can not be solved by adding more file servers.

Ofcourse, one can try to move popular files around to a different file server but this is nearly impossible if you have high traffic.

Can we have a loadbalancer system where we serve end users (viewers). It would go something like this.

XFS>>Storage Server>>Streaming Server (load balancing) >> viewers

----------------
If anyone has a custom solution for this I can pay for it. Please let me know your thoughts. Admin, would your schedule allow you to take on a project like this for a fee?
----------------

afdah

#2 Postby afdah » Sep 16, 2012 11:46 pm

i think you need CDN like function where your files are mirrored to multi servers.

venture89

#3 Postby venture89 » Sep 17, 2012 6:03 am

afdah wrote:i think you need CDN like function where your files are mirrored to multi servers.
Hello yes something like this. Has anyone here done it before?

randy

#4 Postby randy » Sep 17, 2012 9:05 am

the only thing i know is custom mod sending popular files to ssd drives. ask sibsoft. but if this will help you dont know.

i know what you mean so this feature is missing :(

like make clones of popular files and tell the script not always to take the file from server 1 or something...

like cloning the popular file to other servers too to load the balance correct? ;)

to have copies/clones of the popular files on many different servers