XFileSharing Pro - Peak time only 30 kB/s Download - what to do??(atop result)

armin

Peak time only 30 kB/s Download - what to do??(atop result)

#1 Postby armin » Oct 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Hey guys,

we're currently having speed issues with our servers. We have about 10k Downloads every day with 2 Fileservers, both fileservers have 2 TB capazity on Raid 1, for now both fileservers are filled 50 %, so 1 TB Data is on every server. In peak times, we have a download speed of 30 kB/s which is of course unacceptable for premium users.

Current Setup is:
Intel Xeon W3520
4x 2.66+ GHz
24 GB DDR3
2x 2000 GB HDD
RAID Soft 1
Speed 1 Gbps

Server 1:

atop Result: http://www.abload.de/img/s1atopfxp4r.jpg
top Result: http://www.abload.de/img/s1top1iq3v.jpg

Server 2:

atop Result: http://www.abload.de/img/s2atopifre3.jpg
top Result: http://www.abload.de/img/s2topbipi5.jpg

In another Thread, someone suggested to get 2 more HDDs for every server and let them run with Raid 5. Is Raid 5 realy that much faster than Raid 1? Or would it be better to block more file uploads to these 2 servers and buy more additional servers?

Thank you for your help!

armin

randy

#2 Postby randy » Oct 22, 2012 5:48 pm

do you have torrent mod? if yes. stop it :)

had the same problem. after stopping torrent uploads we had wonderful speed.

armin

#3 Postby armin » Oct 22, 2012 7:06 pm

randy wrote:do you have torrent mod? if yes. stop it :)

No torrent mod, no ftp mod, only remote upload and browser upload and upload tool(also z-o-o-m) are available. What else could it be? We're using nginx mod and we limit free users to 30 kB/s and 2000 GB Download Volume per Day. Premium have over 40 GB Download Volume per Day. What do you think about the server, is it strong enough? Is it okay to buy new ones of them for the future or should we change to stronger servers, in case if we grow more?

Thanks for your answers

armin

afdah

#4 Postby afdah » Oct 22, 2012 8:01 pm

armin wrote:

No torrent mod, no ftp mod, only remote upload and browser upload and upload tool(also z-o-o-m) are available. What else could it be? We're using nginx mod and we limit free users to 30 kB/s and 2000 GB Download Volume per Day. Premium have over 40 GB Download Volume per Day. What do you think about the server, is it strong enough? Is it okay to buy new ones of them for the future or should we change to stronger servers, in case if we grow more?

Thanks for your answers

armin
as i have said in your previous thread, get more HDDs per server in stead of 2.

from your atop, your HDDs are too busy with reading, which is of course too many users downloading at the same time and your HDDs cannot handle the load.

2x 2TB HDDs in RAID1 means, 2x Read 1x Write, 2TB HDD Capacity
4x 2TB HDDs in RAID1 means, 4x Read 1x Write, 2TB HDD Capacity
4x 2TB HDDs in RAID10 means, 4x Read 2x Write, 4TB HDD Capacity
4x 2TB HDDs in RAID5 means, 3x Read 1x Write, 6TB HDD Capacity

from your situation, you would want to increase your HDD read speed at the moment instead of write.

armin

#5 Postby armin » Oct 23, 2012 1:02 pm

afdah wrote:
armin wrote:

Thanks for your answers

armin
as i have said in your previous thread, get more HDDs per server in stead of 2.

from your atop, your HDDs are too busy with reading, which is of course too many users downloading at the same time and your HDDs cannot handle the load.

2x 2TB HDDs in RAID1 means, 2x Read 1x Write, 2TB HDD Capacity
4x 2TB HDDs in RAID1 means, 4x Read 1x Write, 2TB HDD Capacity
4x 2TB HDDs in RAID10 means, 4x Read 2x Write, 4TB HDD Capacity
4x 2TB HDDs in RAID5 means, 3x Read 1x Write, 6TB HDD Capacity

from your situation, you would want to increase your HDD read speed at the moment instead of write.
Thanks for the Explanation. Anyway, my hoster said they don't do any hardware upgrades, so I can't increase my HDDs(I really would like too). What else can we do? Should we cancel the server, move the files and get a new stronger one?

Best Regards

armin

afdah

#6 Postby afdah » Oct 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Cancel the server and move the files.
when your site gets bigger, you will need more HDDs.

armin

#7 Postby armin » Oct 23, 2012 7:14 pm

afdah wrote:Cancel the server and move the files.
when your site gets bigger, you will need more HDDs.
Okay, I think you're right, we have to move to another server. What do you think about our server specs? I guess we will have 20.000 Downloads in the Future, what do you think about the current hardware, except the HDD Problem:

Intel Xeon W3520
4x 2.66+ GHz
24 GB DDR3
Speed 1 Gbps

Do I need nginx mod and all that stuff again installed by sibsoft support? How would you move the files, FXP? If you have Suggestions for a new Hoster, please tell me :-)

Thanks for your help!!

armin

afdah

#8 Postby afdah » Oct 23, 2012 10:50 pm

your hardware is more than enough for a file server.
what is lacking is the number of hard disks.

nginx is a must for a busy site to save server resources. yes, it's an expensive mod but in the long run you will save lots of money by using less powerful server to run your file servers unlike the resource hungry apache.

look for the 12x HDDs configurations
i3d.net
100tbh.com
swiftway.net
nforce.com

for moving of files, i recommend the rsync method. search the forum about this method.

feel free to email me at the below email icon below if you need more help.

ufkabakan

#9 Postby ufkabakan » Oct 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Atop from Server 1 looks, you dont have a problem.
Atop from Server 2 looks, your HDD have high Random Disk IO but 30Kb/sec not accapteable with your ATOP prints. I think you must have another problems.

Check my ATOP topics and my High Disk IO problems, i can handle 2500+ connection on Apache with good optimiaztion kernel + Apache. I use only 300-500Mbit Port on this usage.

armin

#10 Postby armin » Oct 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks for your kind help and answers. Server 1 is okay most of the time, both server stats look good except the Disk Load, so I I don't know what it could be else. We've just ordered a new server with 5 x 2 TB Disks and RAID 5, perhaps the problems on the old server occurs because of Raid 1 which is not that fast.

Best Regards

armin

ufkabakan

#11 Postby ufkabakan » Oct 24, 2012 3:35 pm

For speed with most hardware raid cards:
Raid 0 > Raid 10 > Raid 1 > Raid 5 > Raid 6