XFileSharing Pro - Why is download speed so slow? - Page 3

jack

#31 Postby jack » Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

awaisuk wrote:OVH states this:

Traffic is unlimited. If you exceed 5 TB / month, the connection will be limited to 10 Mbps. 100 Mbps you will be allocated additional TB(s) of traffic with this purchase. £14.90 per additional TB.

5TB is nothing when running a filehosting site.

Can you give me a link to a good reasonable server with 100mbit unmetered bandwidth on the OVH site?
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/superplan ... =unmetered

awaisuk

#32 Postby awaisuk » Apr 21, 2010 8:06 pm

You have to pay 3 months upfront, which is not good.

jack

#33 Postby jack » Apr 21, 2010 8:36 pm

awaisuk wrote:You have to pay 3 months upfront, which is not good.
Click on 'Change the duration of the lease' at the bottom of the checkout table and change it to 1 month.

awaisuk

#34 Postby awaisuk » Apr 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Do they provide basic support? Like setting up nameservers, fixing errors on the server, dealing with slowness, tweaking apache etc? And what is their response time?

jack

#35 Postby jack » Apr 21, 2010 9:11 pm

awaisuk wrote:Do they provide basic support? Like setting up nameservers, fixing errors on the server, dealing with slowness, tweaking apache etc? And what is their response time?
Don't expect any kind of support from OVH. They only respond if the problem is at their end.
It is best to get a server management company to look after your servers. There are many listed on the webhostingtalk forums. In the long term, you will save a lot of money doing these things yourself so take some time out to learn them, it's really not that difficult.

The lack of support is not just an OVH issue, most high end servers come unmanaged and usually you need to pay anywhere between $20 - $200 per server to have it managed by the DC.

peterdays

#36 Postby peterdays » Apr 21, 2010 9:46 pm

jack do you have any way of contacting you, would love to have a chat :)

jack

#37 Postby jack » Apr 22, 2010 6:41 pm

peterdays wrote:jack do you have any way of contacting you, would love to have a chat :)
Sure, you can email me at [obscured]

Also, just to be clear, I don't sell anything or provide any kind of service. Even if I did, you should not trust someone like me (ie. someone you don't know) to do anything on your server as I can very easily install some malicious script that steals your database or sends spam from your server.

For this same reason, people should not hire programmers from freelancer sites to work on your server. I am sure the admins here would be willing to do any custom work that you want. Even if the price might be a bit high, it's worth the security.

admin
Site Admin

#38 Postby admin » Apr 23, 2010 4:52 am

Yes, we will be more than happy to help.

That's why we do not allow any commercial (fix, install, integrate, design, etc) activity on our forums. Someone could just mess someone else Xfilesharing installation and guess who will be the first contact point to fix?

dotceo

#39 Postby dotceo » Apr 25, 2010 3:14 pm

I actually haven't read anything on this thread other then OVH...

OVH is by far the worst company in the world when it comes to support...

I purchased one of their highest end servers built to the tits and they took 24 days to deliver it, after 5 days it started restarting itself because of hardware failures support got back to me 8 days later about the issue suggesting something I had already done, they don't refund money and they are just shit.

Think this is a one off incident? I had 4 piece of shit servers with them 2 of them lost all my data to where I had to start from scratch and no response from OVH Management.

The servers are not inexpensive... they are CHEAP!

awaisuk

#40 Postby awaisuk » Apr 25, 2010 8:11 pm

OVH wont sell to customers outside UK.

michalss

#41 Postby michalss » Apr 26, 2010 6:46 am

Ok Here is a thing about OVh. Im running custom XFP script on servers from OVH and im having 7 Servers from them so far. All this posts about the OVH is rubbish is stupid coz i never had a problem so far. Alway deliver server withing 2 - 3 days top if is in the stock which can see on their webiste!
Speed is also good coz i having net balancing between the servers and each server is connected to ded. 1GBPS line. Yes u can say OVH is cheap but if you are good admin of Linux servers then u will be ok with them. Personally using only FREEBSD and that make also servers very stable and secure instead of CentOS and similliar. So point is to have more servers with smaller ammount of space and connected to 1GBPS ded. line instead of have 1 massive server with lot of space and 1 ded.GPS line. This is know fact and every linux admin who running file hosting will say the same. As u can say it is lot of money and lot of work to set more servers but trust me it is worth it for sure.

dotceo

#42 Postby dotceo » Apr 26, 2010 11:24 am

I was one of the first few to buy the 10Gbps servers from them... Online they showed 3 to deliver within the hour and 11 within a few days... It took them 24 days to deliver the first one.

Email their support and you'll never get a response. Glad you're having a good experience with that piece of shit company though.

peterdays

#43 Postby peterdays » Apr 26, 2010 12:51 pm

whats the point of those 10gb if your limited to 40T per month

ankurs

#44 Postby ankurs » Apr 26, 2010 2:07 pm

peterdays wrote:whats the point of those 10gb if your limited to 40T per month
LOL true, its useless with that kinda bandwidth cap

OVH is cheap ! and you get what you pay for. If you are ok with having a couple of spare servers & fine with them replying you once in 24hours and taking weeks to fix or realize there is a problem. Then go with it or else move to a better host.

I had problem with one of ovh servers, it used to reboot after a couple of hours. I even showed them the reason it was rebooting was overheating, but they wont accept it and asked me to run their automated test which had no relation to what the problem was and finally i didn't renew it. Wasted some 200euro with a non functional box and their setup fees.

i do have boxes at ovh, but they are just backup boxes and not web servers
Last edited by ankurs on Apr 28, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dotceo

#45 Postby dotceo » Apr 28, 2010 12:41 am

True, you're defaulted with 40TB, but you can purchase more obviously :)...