XUpload - progress bar will freeze at about 5 minutes

hal

progress bar will freeze at about 5 minutes

#1 Postby hal » Sep 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi so I am now testing my Xupload Pro script. I need to upload large files (500MB or more) but The progress bar will freeze on me at about 5 minutes of uploading. It seems many of the posts on the forum are about this very issue... lol

During a few tests, the progress bar states that a 450MB file at 55kBps upload stream will take almost 2.5 hours. how can I overcome this issue?

I have found a few answers on the forum but nothing has worked yet.
1. I read in one post to contact server administrator to increase cgi script timeout. So I have opened a ticket with my hosting company, that will take a day... ... ...

2. I also have read and tried increasing delay between ajax requests: in Templates/xstatus.js find (http://www.sibsoft.net/forum/progress-b ... -t837.html) but that did not help.

here are the stats:

3.7%
Files uploaded: 0 of 1 424 Kbps

Current position: 16.1 / 428.6 Mbytes
Time spent/estimate: 00:05:02 / 02:11:46
Approx. speed: 53 Kbytes/Sec.
Uploading MVI_0001.AVI

Any other ideas????

Thank you

hal

Virtual Private Server?

#2 Postby hal » Sep 11, 2008 7:22 pm

okay things get even stickier! I just talked to my host and being that I am on shared hosting they can not increase cgi script timeout as it would affect entire server and cause crash.

For 500-1000 MB uploads they said I need Virtual Private Server or dedicated hosting... yikes that is a lot of money now we are talking close to $500

PilgrimX182

#3 Postby PilgrimX182 » Sep 12, 2008 10:34 am

$500? Where the hell you're hosting? :) There are Dedicated server available for $50 per month. Burst.net will be good for you.

Check http://www.sibsoft.net/forum/hosting-fo ... -t781.html

hal

#4 Postby hal » Sep 12, 2008 3:37 pm

I meant by year... LOL :)
well... Do the math! Now with dedicated is even more!
50X12 = $600

I was making reference to VPS which is slightly more affordable @ $40 p/month.

A quantum leap from a $5 hosting plan!!! ($60 p/year)
I have not found ONE shared hosting plan that will allow a CGI script to run for longer than 5 minutes. So it appears that there is no way a "large file" can be uploaded with Xupload on shared hosting! If you know a way other that FTP I would love to know... LOL

Seriously, it really seems that on your website this verbiage should be factored in as far as requirements are concerned because although I love what your product does your website is VERY misleading due to omissions in how the product can or can not be used and had I known I would have to buy into VPS or dedicated to overcome the CGI timeout I would have still admired your technology but probably would have not made purchase due to finances.

I know it says this on the website...
“Large files upload (No limitation!)
Max upload filesize is limited only by your filesystem and Apache/IIS webserver”
so yes I suppose the burden is on me or anyone else to find out (the hard way in my case... LOL) what these limitations are!

Currently the script runs great just as promised on shared hosting but I can only get small files up to the server. Oh well no ones fault but as a customer I truly feel you guys need to know this and alert you to perhaps a future mishap with a customer who does not know any better as I had not (or did I completely miss these facts that are already clearly stated???).

As a basic/non-programmer I would have never known this but after relentless phone calls and research this is what I have discovered and personally I have much better things to do... LOL

No, I am not mad but it is a learning experience which is always seen as a success.

Thanks, I will look at Burst.net and all the usual suspects in VPS hosting. Soon enough I am sure my customers will be happily uploading their "large files" to my website using Xupload.. LOL

I will keep you posted :)

PilgrimX182

#5 Postby PilgrimX182 » Sep 15, 2008 6:24 am

Well..it's not our script problem. It's a problem of all CGI scripts on that server. Probably PHP scripts have same exactly problem there.
I'm sure there are shared hostings supporting long uploads, but don't know any at the moment since not using them. Probably need to ask other users what hosting do they use...will create special thread.