XFileSharing Pro - RAID 1 VS Server Backups

Jesse202

RAID 1 VS Server Backups

#1 Postby Jesse202 » Jun 08, 2010 7:50 pm

How do you guys do it? RAID wont protect you against viruses or corruption. So do you just split your drives; half for backups or how do you do it?

PowerChaos

#2 Postby PowerChaos » Jun 10, 2010 12:48 am

i dont make backups at all
and i dont care about virusses , as the download server is only for files

so as long apache can keep running is everything fine on it , if it goes wrong then it is bad luck

every file on my server get deleted every 15 days to safe space (with out download)

so most of the time , old files are deleted or non downloaded files are deleted (exept premium)

if it happends that files get corupted , then they need to upload it again

its not our responsibility to act as a backup server , we are a file host server that offer you a location so you can get your files downloaded

we are not a backup server that keeps your files stored and secured for every1

so i dont see why i would waste 1.5TB hd for backups (specialy not why i would use raid for it )

if you want to do it for the premium members only , then i can suggest to take a extra server for premium files only , so they are safe
but still the same answer for me , my site is a download site and not a storage site for your needed files

Greetings From PowerChaos

admin
Site Admin

#3 Postby admin » Jun 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Technically, you can have separate server for premium users and backup whole server.

RAID 1 will save in case of HDD failure, but if you or your admin will delete something by mistake - that will not help.

Our guess is: RAID1 is enough