XFileSharing Pro - Raid 5 or no

OooLong

Raid 5 or no

#1 Postby OooLong » Sep 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I heard that software raid is not as fast as hardware and can take a load on the CPU. My question is, on the overall load is raid5 better than to use 4 separate disk? What would give better performance overall including CPU + disk usage? I understand I won't have the backup of raid but I just want to ask for performance wise. For the users who are experience with raid, I would appreciate any response. Thanks.

ufkabakan

#2 Postby ufkabakan » Sep 21, 2012 1:27 am

Why you need Raid 5? Secure/Protec your files for disk crash problems?
Software Raid 5 need high CPU power on write/upload files. But if you dont have high trafic Software Raid 5 can handle for a while your FileServer.

OooLong

#3 Postby OooLong » Sep 21, 2012 2:06 am

I want Raid 5 because of backup protection but as you said Software raid5 need high CPU power. I'm asking for a comparison of software raid5 vs running 3 independent HD, which is overall will be better load on the server? If the load from using raid5 is much more than using 3 HD then I won't need it and use other backup method.

PilgrimX182

#4 Postby PilgrimX182 » Sep 24, 2012 4:39 am

CPU is not the bottleneck on filesharing servers. HDD load IS. So each file read will spin 3 HDDs with RAID5 and this is pretty expensive for perfomance. Probably mirror raid1 will do better for you.
But if you won't get high download rates on your site then soft raid5 will work just fine and will be cheapest and safest solution for you.

sherayusuf3

#5 Postby sherayusuf3 » Sep 26, 2012 1:43 pm

PilgrimX182 wrote:CPU is not the bottleneck on filesharing servers. HDD load IS. So each file read will spin 3 HDDs with RAID5 and this is pretty expensive for perfomance. Probably mirror raid1 will do better for you.
But if you won't get high download rates on your site then soft raid5 will work just fine and will be cheapest and safest solution for you.
I have file server that handle movie box office
movie box office on this week configure with Ramdisk / tmfs / storage based on ram
movie box office after one mount uploaded configure with Raid 1+0 SSD intel 520
movie box office after 3 mount uploaded configure with Raid 1+0 SATA disk 7.5k rpm
movie box office after 3 mount uploaded configure with Raid 1 SATA disk 7.5k rpm