XFileSharing Pro - SATA vs SD - Page 2

Guneyd

#16 Postby Guneyd » May 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Damn, just found out that the leaseweb 100TB server I've been meaning to get is no raid :(. I can get a normal leaseweb server with RAID10, but that would mean expensive bandwidth...

I'm also going to get nginx installed on the server. Does the RAID really make that much of a difference when it comes to the download speed for users?

nyan

#17 Postby nyan » May 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Guneyd wrote:Damn, just found out that the leaseweb 100TB server I've been meaning to get is no raid :(. I can get a normal leaseweb server with RAID10, but that would mean expensive bandwidth...

I'm also going to get nginx installed on the server. Does the RAID really make that much of a difference when it comes to the download speed for users?
What no raid?
Just ask them to install the server the following way
disk 1:
main partition: 20 gb
files partition: 910 gb (the rest)
disk 2:
dummy/whatever partition: 20 gb
files partition: 910 gb
disk 3 and 4:
files partition: 930 gb

Then use MDADM to manually create two software raid 1 arrays
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-crea ... ne-arrays/

I don't see how that wouldn't work on the 100 tb server...

You need raid 1 or 10 because you can't really afford to lose data in case of a drive crash... About performance I can't really say anything since I use 100 mbit servers and i can say that one drive can also easily max that connection:/

Guneyd

#18 Postby Guneyd » May 21, 2011 6:44 am

nyan wrote:
Guneyd wrote:Damn, just found out that the leaseweb 100TB server I've been meaning to get is no raid :(. I can get a normal leaseweb server with RAID10, but that would mean expensive bandwidth...

What no raid?
Just ask them to install the server the following way
disk 1:
main partition: 20 gb
files partition: 910 gb (the rest)
disk 2:
dummy/whatever partition: 20 gb
files partition: 910 gb
disk 3 and 4:
files partition: 930 gb

Then use MDADM to manually create two software raid 1 arrays
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-crea ... ne-arrays/

I don't see how that wouldn't work on the 100 tb server...

You need raid 1 or 10 because you can't really afford to lose data in case of a drive crash... About performance I can't really say anything since I use 100 mbit servers and i can say that one drive can also easily max that connection:/
Thank you for the reply. I did ask them and it really is without any (hardware) RAID. All I can do is software RAID.