XFileSharing Pro - server overload 150% - Page 2

Hendrickson

#16 Postby Hendrickson » Jan 13, 2010 3:58 am

Doesn't sound too easy, I'm mean to set up both nginx and apache on the same server. Also lighhttp and nginx are paid products more $$$ My main site runs on litehttp which helps alot. But my file servers are apache 2.2

I also find that the most load put on my servers when they seem to overload isn't the downloads or dl.cgi etc. Its always the upload.cgi when I have 20+ uploads on a server also severing downloads loads always spike alot.....Uploads consume too much cpu........

Having a separate server for the mainsite and then file servers helps...both on the same server once you have traffic = big slow down.

And when I use direct links, in that period of time I see zero premium sales. So for a revinue point of view its flawed. Sure your server load is halved vs the dl.cgi but at the cost of premium sales.

Why would someone buy a premium account if the direct link gives them all the server speed they can get....

naga

#17 Postby naga » Jan 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Hendrickson wrote:
Why would someone buy a premium account if the direct link gives them all the server speed they can get....
Limit the number of connections per IP for free users, it greatly reduces loads and makes people buy premium

Also, lighttpd is free;)

Hendrickson

#18 Postby Hendrickson » Jan 14, 2010 1:48 pm

naga wrote:
Hendrickson wrote:
Limit the number of connections per IP for free users, it greatly reduces loads and makes people buy premium

Also, lighttpd is free;)
Sounds good. Ok but how do I limit IP connections based on the user?

PowerChaos

#19 Postby PowerChaos » Jan 18, 2010 7:09 pm

you can do the same way i do
it works great so far

i use 1 server for my website and for my clients website
and 1 server just as download location server

uploads goes from the second server but requested by the first server
so it get a bit of load

downloads goes only from second server so you dont even notice it (not even on traffic)

and the spamd error you get , thats is giving your massive cpu usage
the program just crashed and keeps looping , restart the server and problem fixed (what does that program stands on your file server ? )

the other way you can do to limit users is max conection limit by apache
or even better

write your own script and put it betwean the download page
so if they login and are not a free user , and server load is XX then it says to wait because server is overloaded

if the server load is XX and a premium user press its , then it let it pass

that shoulnd be all to hard to make exept that it is cgi and not php

i cant even include my server load to the site or i need to work with iframe
so thats harder again to get this working :S

for the rest , limit max conections to the server , limit mem and cpu usage of apache (max mem)

and it should be fine for a time

Greets From PowerChaos

Mega B

#20 Postby Mega B » Jan 21, 2010 9:32 am

@PowerChaos how much memory are you using for your server/s at the moment for our site http://www.filethe.net and also our adult filehost http://www.adultthe.net we are using 8meg with 1 gig connection which seems to be able to handle the load very well at peek times although the last site will be put on its own dedicated within the month as the site starts to grow.

PowerChaos

#21 Postby PowerChaos » Jan 21, 2010 1:01 pm

i dont know how mutch mem i use

i only know that my clients before stored files of 750mb on there website
and that apache was crashing all the time

i got 8GB ram on all my servers
so they dont go down by using a bit ram :D

they are all a Quad 9550 (12mb cach)
so they dont go down that easy

but if you got over the 200 persones who are downloading files of 700 mb at the same time ... then nothing els will works anymore

so i moved that site to a dedicated server so it doesnt mather mutch if they download a lot and goes slower :P

but i cant say how mutch ram/cpu i use at this moment
dont have a control panel on m download site , only on my main site but threre are more sites on it to so its not only from my download site that you see the statics (its 5% cpu at this moment)

Greets From PowerChaos

Hendrickson

#22 Postby Hendrickson » Jan 21, 2010 2:39 pm

I've found that the worst offender is the upload.cgi. 50 people uploading 100mb+ files will kill most servers by maxing out the CPU...

Also I recommend that people stay clear of cheap Atom servers, for small sites they are fine but only in the very beginning with 30-40 users max on the server. Once you get users they will fail...And you'll loose customers. They also have a 2GB ram limit which isn't helping anyone!

The only real slow down on the fast server I have is the network limits. So of course if you have 200 people downloading a 700mb file. The network limit is reached. For that you'll need a 1Gbit port..big $$$
Thats when you need to weight up if its worth paying the extra $600 a month for a upgraded port speed...Or with that money buy 2 new servers and split the load.

Its a real hard one and I'm learning so much with the Xfile sharing business. Its a big balancing act. While I'm still loosing a lot of cash each month I hope in time people will start to see my site is fast & reliable. And I'll finally have some spare $$$ in my pocket.

PowerChaos

#23 Postby PowerChaos » Jan 21, 2010 3:38 pm

well , you can solve that problem easy

i got this in my mind

i mainly want to use my download location for my own customers so they dont got problems with a overloaded server that doesnt function normal anymore because of hte keep alives of apache (that happends if you download big files o.O )

its the same as my proxy site that use 0.5TB traffic per month (limited on 256 mb per user :S)

so it depends what you want to do
because my main is differend , so i dont going spend to mutch money on it

i try to get it online and a bit stable , and i promote it and if i get profit for it then i can spend it on new servers or on upgrading it

if you earn more then 600$ per month from it to spend it on upgraded speed then it is for me a waste of money
because your server cant handle it mutch longer then (i wonder how it can come that far already o.O)

so the best option for me , keep it simple
and just expand when it is realy needed

no1 going complain over a little slower download speed or a bit slower website (see rapidshare , waiting time of 135 seconds o.O and they are still getting a bunch of hits every day , and download speed is 100kb/s to for me )

so , if i was you , choose for not expanding until needed , try first to earn some money back and get some profit , use that profit to expand and if you dont even get enouf profit to keep it up , then find a way to keep it up , start promoting your site , make your site special

there are so many ways to earn visitors and profit
but it takes time :D

small example is my proxy site
there is no proxy site that exist for 2 years , exept mine
thats unic
i dont say that it was online all the time , but the domain name exist for 2 years and there was a proxy on it for 90% of the time

it all depends what you can offer them and what they need
do they need nothing ?? then offer them something and they will need it later

but to go back ontopic
dont expand when needed

and to start , start with good equipment (not that ATOM )
and then you dont need to expand that mutch

it cost a bit to start up ( instead 30$ for that ATOM :P) but you will see that it helps and after a time when you are promoting right , then you wil get some profit of it

my website http://boosterking.com only exist for about 1 month (or not even 1 months , and this is the stats i have from my ads

Average Daily Unique Users: 563

and if you follow awstats in cpanel
Unique visitors | Number of visits | Pages | Hits | Bandwidth |
2790 | 4480 | 31907 | 233450 | 2.53 GB |

but if you get the point i mean ?

first promote yourself a lot , then start earning money with your promotion and then start to expand if needed
and if you want to spend a little more then your budget , then see if you can get your money from somewhere els ( ads , sponsors , other projects ??)

but this all have nothing to do with cpu power
to answer that question

i dont got trouble at this moment so it is going good so far :D

Greets From PowerChaos