XFileSharing Pro - servers with low dlspeed / atop shows "PAG | scan | ste

armin

servers with low dlspeed / atop shows "PAG | scan | ste

#1 Postby armin » Mar 18, 2014 10:51 am

Hey guys,

I have a weird problem with 2 of my fileservers. They have the same configuration and the same load(hdd, cpu, ram, network) like all of my other(5)servers, but those 2 affected servers are giving very low download speed at peak times. Over night and in the morning the speed of the 2 servers is good, but in the evening at peak times they only give 50 kB/s download speed. All other servers have the same load but giving full downloadspeed(as it should be).

I inspected atop at the 2 affected servers, and there is one line which is giving very high values, on the other good running servers this line doesn't exist, so perhaps that is showing me the problem, but I don't know what this line means. I hope somebody can explain this:

PAG | scan 54784 | steal 54784

this high values only exist on the 2 affected servers with low download speed.

Anybody an idea whats the reason for this problem?

Thanks you for your help

Best Regards

Armin

ankurs

#2 Postby ankurs » Mar 18, 2014 11:51 am

PAG
Paging frequency.
This line contains the number of scanned pages ('scan') due to the fact that free memory drops below a particular threshold and the number times that the kernel tries to reclaim pages due to an urgent need ('stall').
Also the number of memory pages the system read from swap space ('swin') and the number of memory pages the system wrote to swap space ('swout') are shown.

You need more ram.

armin

#3 Postby armin » Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

ankurs wrote:PAG
Paging frequency.
This line contains the number of scanned pages ('scan') due to the fact that free memory drops below a particular threshold and the number times that the kernel tries to reclaim pages due to an urgent need ('stall').
Also the number of memory pages the system read from swap space ('swin') and the number of memory pages the system wrote to swap space ('swout') are shown.

You need more ram.
Thanks for your answer, I already knew the definition of PAG in atop, but I cannot understand why these 2 servers would need more ram, since the servers have the same configuration as all of my 5 other fileservers and they are running realy good with the same load/access. Any ideas what could be wrong? Maybe something is wrong with the raid setup?

Thanks & Regards

armin