XFileSharing Pro - Best configuration for File Servers, Please help.

crownin

Best configuration for File Servers, Please help.

#1 Postby crownin » May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Hello,

Our fileservers are high end with 16GB RAM but they respond very slow when trying to download files & sibsoft has told us that RAID is overloaded. We have raid 5 on our servers, What is the best configuration for fileservers?

Thanks.

michalss

Re: Best configuration for File Servers, Please help.

#2 Postby michalss » May 03, 2011 5:18 pm

crownin wrote:Hello,

Our fileservers are high end with 16GB RAM but they respond very slow when trying to download files & sibsoft has told us that RAID is overloaded. We have raid 5 on our servers, What is the best configuration for fileservers?

Thanks.
use nginx mod!

chrda

#3 Postby chrda » May 03, 2011 8:15 pm

So many factors.

What kind of files are you serving? small or big ones?
What network port speed do you have? 100Mbit-1000Mbit

You use nginx? or apache direct links?

Raid10 is the best choice for fileservers.

PowerChaos

#4 Postby PowerChaos » May 04, 2011 12:34 am

i use raid1 on apache on a 100mbps speed conection and so far i dit not have a single problem

i serve files of about 1GB big

the cpu load is about 0.2% (exept when it is converting a video) and i got torrent mod on it

server spects ?

I5 (750 ) with 8GB ram and 2TB hd ( 1TB in raid)

i need to say , there is not to mutch hd in use at this moment , but maybe it is because of my settings

i use this kind of settings

non registered users = 150kb/s
registered users = 350kb/s
premium = full speed

and it works great for me ,
if your server response is slow then it can have to do with a few things

main reason = traffic
second reason = cpu usage (specialy with apache
other main reason = ddos atks (also known as proxy's and mass conections)
last reason = memory , but that relay back to the part of apaceh that is getting spammed

those things never happends alone , 1 problem is causing a other problem

to explain it easy of what i mean

if you got 100 persones downloading against 1mbps , then apache will put other users on hold or send them a time out ( extreme ram usage)

my server (webserver) goes down if there are more then 180 requests at the same time

then i see my ram usage go up to 96% and my swap ( that is as big as my ram) to the same = 16GB ram

in meantime i see my cpu ( I7 with 4 cores and 8Treaths @ 3GHZ ) going up to 120% (thats where it crash , it goes over his max value)

my point i mean
it all depensd on each other and it is hard to say good spects if you do not locate the problem
is it traffic ??
is it ram ??
is it apache ??
is it mass conections ??
is it the hd that can not folow ( in raid , raize cpu and ram to )

so if you want us to help you , then let us know your spects
or in case you got no clue and your host can not help you , i do provide servers to ^^ (and i can help as mutch as i can)

anyway , i am not here to promote myself , but hopely you understand the question and what we need to be able to help you ??

Greets From PowerChaos

ufkabakan

#5 Postby ufkabakan » May 04, 2011 7:31 am

@PowerChaos
How to limiting connection limit for user without Nginx?
u are using still apache and u can limit users speed, right?
Download speed Kbytes/sec
Works only for dl.cgi and Nginx mod

nyan

#6 Postby nyan » May 04, 2011 10:47 am

You manage to get an I5 or I7 to time-out at only 180 connections?(windows?) Really Install nginx(it can run perl scripts too.. or keep apache running on a different port).
I have 100 mbit servers running in intel dual cores with only 2 gb and 2x1.5tb raid1 and each fileserver can do about 500 connections.. also premium traffic is set to a higher priority via iptables.

Crownin:
If you use apache, make sure maxclients is set to some nice high number (256 or 512)
Look for kernel changes for a lot of http traffic for your operating system(Some have been posted here, others can be found on the internet)
Get nginx (easiest solution)