XFileSharing Pro - How to determine how many processors do I need?

rawrkee

How to determine how many processors do I need?

#1 Postby rawrkee » May 25, 2013 12:39 am

Hi,

I'm looking to order some file servers but I don't know how many processors is needed.
Some companies offer multiple choices such as:
Single Core, Dual Core and also Quad Core.
Should I just assume that the more processors the server has, the better?
I don't want to order a file server and be unable to utilize it to it's full potential nor would I want to limit it.
A file server just stores and provides download for files, is so much processing needed?

Thanks in advance!

bizman

#2 Postby bizman » May 25, 2013 1:05 am

depends on your businessplan.
if you don't know, how should we know it? We can only say how much it can handle without any visitors, donwloaders, uploders.

Jesse202

#3 Postby Jesse202 » May 25, 2013 3:20 am

I also have a response you will not like.

The following is honestly not to sound mean. Most sites fold after a server (or database) crash or two. They then realize sibsoft are not our own personal server admins. You will need to do it all on your own. They sell a script and do not fix your problems (as they shouldn't).

Please hold off wasting your money on this script. Learn the basics of html, Perl, server administration, and customer support.

Your visitors will appreciate it when the servers are up and their files are not lost during a crash.

PS: There is absolutely no way to answer your question. If you do not know your visitors and their needs, how should we? We have no clue what your limits will be. My file servers are Dual Xeon 5410 (8 cores)+24GB RAM+nginx for serving images. Main server is Dual CPU Xeon 5410 (8 cores)+24GB RAM+litespeed if that helps any.

Stefanzm

#4 Postby Stefanzm » May 29, 2013 5:05 am

Actually @rawrkee question is easy to answer .
File servers (not the main one) does not use almost any cpu (unless you have video mod , then cpu is used to convert files) . So for download only you can use any cpu (single , duo , quad ) and then you have to worry only about RAM and HDD I/O .
As for the main one (the one serving web files to visitors ) , there you may need few cores to can handle big traffic .

Hope this info will help you .

rawrkee

#5 Postby rawrkee » Jun 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Stefanzm wrote:Actually @rawrkee question is easy to answer .
File servers (not the main one) does not use almost any cpu (unless you have video mod , then cpu is used to convert files) . So for download only you can use any cpu (single , duo , quad ) and then you have to worry only about RAM and HDD I/O .
As for the main one (the one serving web files to visitors ) , there you may need few cores to can handle big traffic .

Hope this info will help you .
thanks a lot Stefanzm!
I was thinking that file servers hardly use CPU..
:D

bizman

#6 Postby bizman » Jul 07, 2014 11:01 pm

No.

The main Server needs neither more ram, nor more cpu.
The Fileserver needs more RAM and more CPU.

Even when nginx is installed on Fileserver and apache on main server.

Propably your mainserver isn't optimized.