XFileSharing Pro - Xfilesharing Pro and server load

Alvin

Xfilesharing Pro and server load

#1 Postby Alvin » May 06, 2008 10:40 pm

Hello,

I am very interested in buying this script but before that answers to few questions will be highly appreciated.

1. Does thsi scirpt run perl as cgi if so wont it be slower than PHP?
2. Your reason of choosing perl over PHP?
3. How this script treats servers? I am using MFHS and it kills my servers. Is this script does same thing?
4. Is it encoded?

Thank you very much.

Best regards
Alvin

PilgrimX182

#2 Postby PilgrimX182 » May 07, 2008 7:27 am

1,2: cause we like Perl and know it well. And Perl gives good control over upload progress.

3: it depends. there could be server load if send file via script, but you can generate static temp download links so apache will handle them itself and there will be low server usage. Actually can't tell you if there will be high or low load on your server with XFS Pro, this depends on your server configuration and human traffic quality.

4: One special file is encoded to keep license id code safe, whole logic is not encoded, you can modify it for your needs.

Alvin

#3 Postby Alvin » May 08, 2008 3:12 am

PilgrimX182 wrote:1,2: cause we like Perl and know it well. And Perl gives good control over upload progress.
You missed second part of my question. I dont have much knowledge of perl but form what I have heard is that when it is slower than PHP.

Is that true?

Also what do you mean by "And Perl gives good control over upload progress." Kindly elaborate please.

PilgrimX182

#4 Postby PilgrimX182 » May 08, 2008 7:46 am

form what I have heard is that when it is slower than PHP.
Is that true?
I haven't heard this. I guess it's PHP programmers make those rumors :)
Also what do you mean by "And Perl gives good control over upload progress." Kindly elaborate please.
Access to upload progress info implemented only in recent versions of PHP, in older verions you had to apply some hack to php core to use it.
So as you can see most of these php upload systems still use CGI perl file to handle uploads.