XFileSharing Pro - XFS problems on dedicated servers

psshare

XFS problems on dedicated servers

#1 Postby psshare » Jun 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I bought one cpanel/WHM dedicated server which has 10x500G harddisks, and I installed XFileSharing Pro on No.1 harddisk, how do I config each other disks as extra file-server subdomains like server01.mydomain.com; server02.mydomain.com...?

And, if all the disks are fully used, how do I add more storage? Should I buy one more dedicated server and config it as serverXX.mydomain.com? If so, how can I add a Extra File-Server on a different dedicated server?

Thanks !

dotceo

#2 Postby dotceo » Jun 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Ok, I'll recommend something to you, and you do what you want with this information.

Don't set up server1.domain.com server2.domain.com on disks within 1 server. I know it looks cool, and makes your site look like a huge site, but there are a lot of problems when doing what you want to do.

Since you spent all the crazy money in a sever for what a presume a site with no traffic, it sounds like you have some extra money to do things right.

Note: if the 500GB HDD's you got on your server are IDE 7200 or less, then the server wont last long after you start getting real traffic.

Purchase a very entry level server, and install the main application, mysql, and all the other good stuff on there. Then use that server you already have as a file/storage server RAID 10.

If you do it the way you do... You'll have angry users when on of those Disks goes BOOM, and all their files go missing.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by dotceo on Jun 25, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psshare

#3 Postby psshare » Jun 25, 2010 3:27 am

hello dotceo,

thank a lot for your reply. I'm still a little confused. If I install main XFS script on dedicated server A, can I install extra file-servers on another dedicated server ?

thanks,

admin
Site Admin

#4 Postby admin » Jun 25, 2010 6:58 am

Yes, correct.

PilgrimX182

#5 Postby PilgrimX182 » Jun 25, 2010 6:59 am

Sure. You can install multiple fileservers on other dedi servers.

dotceo

#6 Postby dotceo » Jun 25, 2010 2:07 pm

psshare wrote:hello dotceo,

thank a lot for your reply. I'm still a little confused. If I install main XFS script on dedicated server A, can I install extra file-servers on another dedicated server ?

thanks,
Yes, you can install as many additional file servers within the same domain (as per your license agreement) as you want.

The reason why I suggest you get a separate entry level dedicated server is because if your big 10 HDD Server were to get jammed, your site would no longer be accessible anymore. Having the application on a separate dedicated (none file hosting) server, is because IF your big file server gets jammed up, your users will still be able to access your site, and communicate to you that they are unable to download.

The community is pretty good here, and serious questions get answered by the admins, moderators, me and the rest of the community.

psshare

#7 Postby psshare » Jun 26, 2010 3:46 pm

I start building my server.
Thanks to PilgrimX182 and dotceo. Thank you !