XFileSharing Pro - I/O and CPU Will be effected by total upload speed

venture89

I/O and CPU Will be effected by total upload speed

#1 Postby venture89 » Aug 23, 2012 11:11 pm

I think I have to disagree regarding to the upload speed. It will have a huge effect on your server because total upload speed into your server effect the write performance.

I myself is interested in finding out if the upload speed can be limited. I am not talking about regular users uploading at 1mbps...I am talking about some people uploading at 100mbps to our file servers using dedicated servers.

In this case both I/O and CPU will be effected making your file server unusable to normal up-loaders and downloaders.

Thanks

PowerChaos

#2 Postby PowerChaos » Aug 24, 2012 1:05 am

well this is a way you can try

http://www.tidytutorials.com/p/speedbump.html

but not sure if it works like you want it to work

i also read on forums that they say to use iptables and traffic shaping
but those are mainly for global rules and that is not what we want
so that link is a good solution , but i never tryied it out

Greetings From PowerChaos

randy

#3 Postby randy » Aug 24, 2012 11:22 am

this is a real good question. we have a lot of problems with clients that use remote upload und uploading with 1gb/s to our servers and normal upload gets temp errors!

we have nginx.. so powerchaos???

how can we do it like... every ip max 100mb/s or something like that?

we have this problem on our file servers only..

venture89

niginx ?

#4 Postby venture89 » Aug 25, 2012 11:22 am

I have not tried the method given by PowerChaos. I wonder how this would work under a file server that has nginx mod. Since upload connection numbers are fairly low I dont think the method will use up lot of memory.

Has anyone else tried this before?
thx

PowerChaos

#5 Postby PowerChaos » Aug 25, 2012 11:40 am

it does not mather if you use nginx , lighttp or apache or tomcat

the script is suposed to use iptables ( firewall that is basic in linux like winows firewall) to lock the speed

it is the same as trafic shaping , traffic shaping limits the amount you can upload/download and get mostly used to keep some traffic free so you can always acces SSH

also traffic shaping get used in case you are working with torrents on your own computer , so you got traffic free to browse on the internet (with slow connections)

so the provided script should be able to put a limit per user based ( ip ) and not a global rule like traffic shaping does

i do not know about the amount of ram it use , but as it use iptables should it use as mutch ram as a firewall use

edavrio

#6 Postby edavrio » Aug 26, 2012 12:20 am

PowerChaos wrote:it does not mather if you use nginx , lighttp or apache or tomcat

the script is suposed to use iptables ( firewall that is basic in linux like winows firewall) to lock the speed

it is the same as trafic shaping , traffic shaping limits the amount you can upload/download and get mostly used to keep some traffic free so you can always acces SSH

also traffic shaping get used in case you are working with torrents on your own computer , so you got traffic free to browse on the internet (with slow connections)

so the provided script should be able to put a limit per user based ( ip ) and not a global rule like traffic shaping does

i do not know about the amount of ram it use , but as it use iptables should it use as mutch ram as a firewall use

Iptables is not a Traffic Shaper. It can only chain the traffic so you can shape it.

ufkabakan

#7 Postby ufkabakan » Sep 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Limiting IP based connection speed with IPTables cost CPU right? And this is not a good solution for it?

I think we need WebServer based speed limiting like nginx. Apache dont have working speed limiter.