XFileSharing Pro - Hosting a file sharing site

parky99

Hosting a file sharing site

#1 Postby parky99 » Dec 14, 2012 11:58 am

I am just starting out and I want to use this software however what is the best way to host it? yourself or use a provider, is there a good or bad host? and what should the general cost be?

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

David

frostyshield

Re: Hosting a file sharing site

#2 Postby frostyshield » Dec 14, 2012 3:21 pm

parky99 wrote:I am just starting out and I want to use this software however what is the best way to host it? yourself or use a provider, is there a good or bad host? and what should the general cost be?

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

David
There are no hosting providers for the script so you have to buy your own dedicated server from a provider I am gonna use a custom server from fdcservers.net the server is:
cpu: dual core 2.0Ghz
ram: 8gb
hdd: 6x2TB RAID 10
bandwidth: 1Gbps
$249 monthly

This is the cheapest for the kind of server you are looking at and it will save you a lot of money in the end :)

parky99

Re: Hosting a file sharing site

#3 Postby parky99 » Dec 14, 2012 3:23 pm

frostyshield wrote:
There are no hosting providers for the script so you have to buy your own dedicated server from a provider I am gonna use a custom server from fdcservers.net the server is:
cpu: dual core 2.0Ghz
ram: 8gb
hdd: 6x2TB RAID 10
bandwidth: 1Gbps
$249 monthly

This is the cheapest for the kind of server you are looking at and it will save you a lot of money in the end :)
Thank you for this it is most helpful

trinsic

#4 Postby trinsic » Dec 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Only problem with FDC is they like to null route for up to 24 hours without reason. You can get your server back online in that time but whose to say you will be awake when they do.

I've had dedicated GBit with them and they even null routed that multiple times a month. I believe they have quite an oversold network, even with paying for a full Gbit line I couldn't get more than 700MBps without getting shut off.

However I will say that they cost half as much as the competition. Quadranet is charging $1300 when I was only paying $700 at FDC.

frostyshield

#5 Postby frostyshield » Dec 15, 2012 1:52 pm

trinsic wrote:Only problem with FDC is they like to null route for up to 24 hours without reason. You can get your server back online in that time but whose to say you will be awake when they do.

I've had dedicated GBit with them and they even null routed that multiple times a month. I believe they have quite an oversold network, even with paying for a full Gbit line I couldn't get more than 700MBps without getting shut off.

However I will say that they cost half as much as the competition. Quadranet is charging $1300 when I was only paying $700 at FDC.
Did you complain to them about the null routing? and are you with Quadranet?