XFileSharing Pro - How good server do I need

xandor

How good server do I need

#1 Postby xandor » Feb 12, 2012 1:49 pm

I want to setup a server to host both filehost and imagehost.

I know I will need around 500 GB daily traffic atleast and 500 GB HDD space and 4000 daily page views on the imagehost.
Would be good if I could handle a lot more though.

I could setup one at my home, then the components wouldnt be any problem and I have 100/100 Mbit. Think 100 Mbit should be enough but might be very slow when most people are on.
Dunno how I should increase the speed, think only way is to have servers at different physical locations.
Is it possible to get higher speed with several servers at my house somehow? (dunno if it is some way to get full speed to each server)

How good should the rest be?
RAM?
CPU?
I suppose I wont use any GPU since server got nothing graphical to do.

If I add the video mod, what server requirements would I need then? Most of the files on the server will be videos but not sure how much it will require.

Or would it be better to go with some hosting company? One of the best things with it is that I could probably find 1 Gbit or 10 Gbit.
I havent seen any suitable server on a hosting company and 1 that I asked said that they didnt suit at all to host the files just the website. It would also cost a lot more to go with a hosting company I think.

ufkabakan

#2 Postby ufkabakan » Feb 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Xandor,

4K visitor daily and 500GB BW usage not a big worth for FileHosting. I think ur 100Mbit connection is enough for it. But are u sure? Do u have realy 100Mbit upload speed in home connection?

When your server is busy, take some stats of your server example:
CPU usage?
Ram usage?
DISK I/O?
Network usage?

if some one maximize, u must focus on it.

xandor

#3 Postby xandor » Feb 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Thank you for reply.

How much traffic do you think 100Mbit can handle each day?

100Mbit is common home connection in sweden.

How would you suggest I do to increase speed if I get too much traffic?
Do I have to buy a server from a different physical location?

nyan

#4 Postby nyan » Feb 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi
100 mbit can do up to 1 tb transfer a day, the image host traffic is negligible for 4000 daily views.
But:
- Your home connection is not made for filehosting, people outside of Sweden will get slow download speeds.
- Doing filehosting on your own internet probably does not comply with the fair use policy of ISP's

for a 100 mbit server with 100 mb files you probably need a dual-core cpu, 2-4 gb ram and 2x500 gb hdd (raid1)
With video mod you probably need a quad-core cpu with 4-6 gb ram

Go for a hosting company, but make sure you can easily expand with them.. The cheapest startup would be to get a 50 euro server from ovh.com

PowerChaos

#5 Postby PowerChaos » Feb 13, 2012 10:57 pm

here are some stats from my server

it doesnt got the traffic you are supose to have , but it contains a few more intresting things so it is basic equal to what you request
mods wrote: torrent mod
image mod
video converting
and yes, there are torrent running all the time :D (same as video's that are converted)

if you look at the stats of this saturday
http://www.histats.com/viewstats/?SID=1 ... mal&t_rg=h

or if you like to know the trafic usage of this saturday
traffic wrote: 11 February 40.61 GB(in) 299.23 GB(out) 339.84 GB(total)
i personaly use a Intel I7 920 (135€) for it
but i need to say , my website is offloaded so that leaves up only the download requests to the server

for more info about server requests , feel free to contact me or take a look at http://dehost.org

for ovh , i woulnd recommerd them anymore , they where great for a certain time until they start creating internal ddos attacks on vswitches ... and are forcing you to buy not needed stuff (and they do not accept paypal :P )

Greetings From PowerChaos

ufkabakan

#6 Postby ufkabakan » Feb 14, 2012 1:45 am

PowerChaos pls stop ur advertisement

PowerChaos

#7 Postby PowerChaos » Feb 14, 2012 2:33 am

ufkabakan wrote:PowerChaos pls stop ur advertisement
-.-

i just say what i use and that it is doing fine
and i just put some comment about a old host that ruined everything for me a time ago

and i answered his question , he wonder what he needs so i provide him what he needs and it is up to him to deside what he choose

he doesnt need to have a big expensive server for those things but a normal server will do fine as long he split up his website and hosting from each other

my post was more helpfull then your useless comment , even this post helps him more

so far the spam

enjoy
Greetings From PowerChaos