XFileSharing Pro - How long before you upgrade to Nginx?

venture89

How long before you upgrade to Nginx?

#1 Postby venture89 » Sep 08, 2011 12:28 am

Hello All,

Just a quick question to all the experienced users out there.
When (In terms of site usage/ popularity..etc) did you had to get the NginX mod?

Also, When I try to set the download speed for different types of users it says "Kbytes/sec. Works only for dl.cgi and Nginx mod" What does this means?

Finally, If I have V1.9 can I set the parallel downloads settings? I want to set the free user parallel downloads to just 1 and premium to 10.

Appreciate your thoughts/help!

PowerChaos

#2 Postby PowerChaos » Sep 09, 2011 11:16 am

apache can not handle parralells downloads so you got no other choise then using nginx

in my case , i still use apache ... it works great for me so i see no reason why i should go to nginx

it realy depends what you all like to do if you like to use nginx or not

nginx is lower ram/cpu and faster in most cases
but as long apache can handle everything ?? and you got ram enouf ( like 12GB in my case) and cpu enouf ( I7 920 ) do i not see a reason to switch to nginx

but it ofcourse depends what you like to do in the first place , as apache got some trouble with psuedostreaming ( fast skipping on mp4 files) and need a bit of tweaking to be good

hopely this helped you to make a desission

Greetings From PowerChaos

venture89

#3 Postby venture89 » Sep 09, 2011 1:51 pm

PowerChaos wrote:apache can not handle parralells downloads so you got no other choise then using nginx

in my case , i still use apache ... it works great for me so i see no reason why i should go to nginx

it realy depends what you all like to do if you like to use nginx or not

nginx is lower ram/cpu and faster in most cases
but as long apache can handle everything ?? and you got ram enouf ( like 12GB in my case) and cpu enouf ( I7 920 ) do i not see a reason to switch to nginx

but it ofcourse depends what you like to do in the first place , as apache got some trouble with psuedostreaming ( fast skipping on mp4 files) and need a bit of tweaking to be good

hopely this helped you to make a desission

thanks for the details. Parallel downloads might be something premium users wants to do imo. So i guess i have to go with nginx in that case.

nyan

#4 Postby nyan » Sep 10, 2011 9:22 pm

apache can not handle parralells downloads so you got no other choise then using nginx
what? apache can handle parallel downloads just fine
it can handle quite some connections as well, it started timing out at around 100 downloaders for me on a dualcore server with 2 gb ram... (nginx however does 250+ with no problems)

and powerchaos, please https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... age-tools/

Edit; I'm not going to reply to powerchaos again, you can limit per ip via mod limitipconn and play around with rate limiting via mod bwshare or cban or just use dl.cgi.
you can also limit bandwidth usage via iptables
Last edited by nyan on Sep 10, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PowerChaos

#5 Postby PowerChaos » Sep 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Apache can not handle parallel downloads like nginx can

and with parallel downloads i mean that free users can use a download manager and limited to 2 connections max ( that's parallel )

when Apache can only take care of that part if everything goes true a file , same as speed limit ... only works if the file limits the speed

nginx ?? you just set speed limit based on ip .. you can set max connections that a certain ip can make and so on

so to get back to my point

Apache can not handle parallel downloads like nginx can do

ps: i use Google chrome .. and i do not need a translator that mess up the text more then i do ... as i am just to lazy to right click on the text for the auto correction and as long you can understand me is it good enough ^^

PilgrimX182

#6 Postby PilgrimX182 » Sep 12, 2011 10:15 am

PowerChaos wrote: nginx is lower ram/cpu and faster in most cases
With NginX mod you can use cheaper server and save some $$$ after like 3 months of using such server. :)