XFileSharing Free - Large file upload problem

Bassman

Large file upload problem

#1 Postby Bassman » Sep 09, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi
I have previously been using a PHP upload script that would successfully upload files up to 2 GB in size very reliably on the same server as I have now installed the XfileSharing script. I have installed everything correctly and double checked the .htaccess settings etc.

The problem is that if I try to upload a file of say 1.2GB, the first time I did this it worked straight away and I thought great! but now it fails everytime. It loads about 200-300 mb and then the progress bar stops responding and gives a reading of 0kb speed. I have checked on the server to see if the file upload is still going but everything has stopped.

If I press "cancel upload" the temp file is not removed from the server either. Nothing has changed regarding the server set up. I have only had chance to test this with IE and FF.

I am uploading over a SSL connection if that makes any difference.

I am in need of help as I am trying to replace my previous script with this one , but I do need to be able to transfer files up to 2GB.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers

PilgrimX182

#2 Postby PilgrimX182 » Sep 10, 2007 5:48 am

It looks it's some kind of server limitation for CGI scripts running time. I guess it stop after same amount of seconds after start each time. Please check this out.
Contact your server administrator about this limits.

Bassman

#3 Postby Bassman » Sep 10, 2007 8:17 am

Thanks for your quick response.

It does not do it in the same place each time, which is why I am confused.
Since posting this thread It has transfered a 1.2Gb file correctly, but has failed twice since then, once at 243mb and at 561 mb. I am testing with the same file every time which is a video avi.

I have full root access to the server, so I can make any changes to the configuration if you can suggest anything.

Cheers again

PilgrimX182

#4 Postby PilgrimX182 » Sep 10, 2007 10:18 am

Hmm..I'm a bit confused too...it looks main upload request fails.
Make xupload iframe visible in upload_form.html by removing it's style. Then you will be able to check what was the server error/response.
Then check your free space on server (happened to me one time, was hard to guess the problem :) )
When speed falls to 0kb/s check out temp file size: is it growing or not.

SSL can make difference in IE (had some weird problems some times) but FF should be fine, please test in FF first.

Bassman

#5 Postby Bassman » Sep 10, 2007 4:51 pm

Hi Pilgrim and thanks for your response

I have done what you said and FF failed also at 200mb. I had already tried FF but i did do what you said regarding making the xupload iframe visible, thanks for that tip. The error FF returned was

"The connection was reset while the page was loading.... blah blah blah."

I will have to try again to see if I get the same message.

When the speed falls to 0kb/s the temp file size: is not growing.
There is plenty of space available on the server, i did check, (good thinking)

I will try again in the meantime on IE & FF to see what errors i get ( it takes a while to test these large file uploads)

Thanks for any help in advance.

PilgrimX182

#6 Postby PilgrimX182 » Sep 11, 2007 6:06 am

Also check your Apache error_log, probably something helpfull there.
And check server load/memory usage if possible while uploading.

Bassman

#7 Postby Bassman » Sep 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi again

The uploads are working ok at the moment, I haven't done anything so may be it was my internet connection playing up.

I still have the problem of when I click cancel upload the temp file is not removed from the server, this is with all browsers.

I would just like to say that this script is excellent for anyone who may be reading this. I had some custom work done by Alex and the Sibsoft Team to the script and their service was excellent.

any ideas on the temp file thing?

Cheers

PilgrimX182

#8 Postby PilgrimX182 » Sep 14, 2007 8:31 am

About Stop Upload temp files deletion: try to uncomment these lines in upload.cgi:

Code: Select all

$SIG{HUP} = 'IGNORE';
local $SIG{__DIE__} = 'CleanUp';
This should do the trick if no error.

Anyway, old temp files being deleted after fixed amount of time automatically so no worries.

Bassman

#9 Postby Bassman » Oct 12, 2007 1:49 pm

Hi again
I am back to having the same problem with large file uploads.
I don't think the problem went away really.
Firefox is reporting that the connection to the server has been reset.
It happens at different times 20% 40% 70%
Same problem as before, I dont think its my internet connection as I can transfer the same 450meg file using FTP to the same server with no interuption.

Any Ideas