XUpload - No progress bar - even not on sibsoft.net - on all browsers

friessner

No progress bar - even not on sibsoft.net - on all browsers

#1 Postby friessner » Apr 10, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi,

i downloaded xupload (free) and configured it following the instructions.
now everything works fine except there is no progress bar. i sat for hours trying to figure out what i did wrong. but i simply couldnt find anything.

after all the frustration i went searching the support forum and the sibsoft.net website. and look here: i simply can´t see any progress bar out there!!!
not on sibsoft.net or any other ppls website who use xuploader.

that increases my frustration even more, since it means that i must be the only guy facing this problem. otherwise there would be loads of posts complaining that the xuploaders progress bar is broken in general.

and believe me: i tried it on opera, firefox and msie. on windows xp and mac osx. everything works just fine, files are being uploaded, but no progress bars. never. it just freezes for the duration of the upload and then it presents the output.

how can this be? i would so much like to use the pro version of xuploader. it seems to be the perfect solution i waited so long for.

any advice?

best regards,
friessner

PilgrimX182

#2 Postby PilgrimX182 » Apr 11, 2007 5:22 am

Wow! That's interesting! I think the problem is in your internet connection then, or firewall. What internet connection do you use? Probably it doesn't allow persistent connections somehow.
Here goes test for your computer: http://sibsoft.net/cgi-bin/xuploadpro/test.cgi
your should see incrementing numbers running down every second. If you don't see numbers, then your computer or internet connectiong can't handle persistent connections.
Maybe Ajax update mode available in Pro version will help you, I've enabled it for our SibSoft.net demo, check it out: http://www.sibsoft.net/upload_form_pro.html

fitterashes

#3 Postby fitterashes » Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Indeed the test doesn't work on my computer at home. I'll make some tests tonight, the only different thing on my two computers is my Firewall (Bitdefender 10 at home, Bitdefender 9 at work)

By the way the Ajax version works on both.

friessner

#4 Postby friessner » Apr 12, 2007 3:36 pm

Hi,

I tried the test.cgi. i doesnt show anything for exactly 1 minute and 40 seconds - browser is just loading ... loading ... loading. then the browser receives exactly 4000 times the character "x" and then the numbers 1 to 100, divided by line breaks.

i hope this info helps.

we have a firewall here. i dont know that much about it (fortiguard or something similar...). but i dont have that issues with other upload scripts i tried. and believe me, i am trying a lot of these since days (uber uploader, tesuplad, upload progress apache2 module, swfupload ....).

nevertheless: your upload_form_pro.html seems to work, but it is sort of lazy. upload works fine, but the progress bar is refreshing at an irritating irregular frequency.

we have a very strong upstream rate. reached about 470 kbyte/sec while testing upload tools.

thnx,
friessner

PilgrimX182

#5 Postby PilgrimX182 » Apr 13, 2007 5:42 am

fitterashes, friessner: plz try to open this http://sibsoft.net/cgi-bin/xuploadpro/test.cgi script again in browser. Some browsers are bugly with persistent connection and won't do anything till end of response or till they get at least 4k-8k data. So we have to send 4k of crap first to enable correct handling of persitent connection. Changed 4000 of 'x' to 6000 hope this will be enough for your browsers.

Ajax update do not require persistent connection but it gives Much slower update rate, so it's alterative mode for Xupload. About 'sort of lazy': there was 300ms delay between ajax requests(to lower our server load a bit), changed to 30ms, should work faster now.

friessner

#6 Postby friessner » Apr 13, 2007 7:47 am

just tried the new test.cgi. no change :-(
and the upload_form.html has been really revived now. reacts much faster!

fitterashes

#7 Postby fitterashes » Apr 14, 2007 12:58 am

just tried the new test.cgi too. no change

PilgrimX182

#8 Postby PilgrimX182 » Apr 16, 2007 10:26 am

So it's the rare situation when your internet connection or firewall cause persistent connection problems. You should use Ajax mode then. We implemented it mostly for this situation.

friessner, since you've tested many upload scripts, can you please tell use our 'weak' sides and suggest any ways to improve XUpload.

fitterashes

#9 Postby fitterashes » Apr 22, 2007 8:25 pm

some news, it was caused by a recent update of bitdefender 10.

PilgrimX182

#10 Postby PilgrimX182 » Apr 23, 2007 6:07 am

Good news, thanks. XUpload is not guilty :)