XFileSharing Pro - Starting to run file hosting !

Powerfull XFileSharing version

Moderator: admin

Message
Author
nick0425
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Starting to run file hosting !

#1 Postby nick0425 » Dec 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Hello everyone .
I would like to run file hosting
I need two servers .


First one is website server .
CPU:Quad-Core Xeon X3440 or Quad-Core Xeon E3-1230
Ram:16G DDR3
HD:2x500GB Sata2 or 1x60G SDD
Traffic:100Mbps Unmetered
My question is what kind of HD is the best for me? Sata2 or SSD?
Do I need to upgrade my traffic to 1G connection ?
Is ram enough to run website ?
How many visitors can I handle? 20000 visitors per day ?

Second is hosting file server .
CPU:HP DL180 G6 2x Intel Quad Core E5620
Ram:16G DDR3
HD: 6x3TB SATA2 with RAID 10 (Stripe + Mirror)
Traffic:100Mbps Unmetered
Is this file sever enough?

If you have run this scripts and website,tell me what is the best setting for server .
My budget is limited so I need to make sure for server setting.
or I can downgrade my server .....
Thanks!

frostyshield
Posts: 52
Joined: Nov 26, 2012 9:58 am
Location: United Kingdom

#2 Postby frostyshield » Dec 15, 2012 1:56 pm

where are you buying your servers from and whats the cost of them also include your budget as currently it could be $100,000 we would never know.

Also 100Mbps is perfect for the web server but for the file server all you need is 100 people downloading/uploading and then it starts to get really really slow for your users.

Whats up with the big specs for the webserver? your webserver would only need a normal hdd atleast 250GB and the traffic is perfect as you would need to get atleast 120,000 visitors to see any difference in load times for the site.

nick0425
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 28, 2012 3:24 pm

#3 Postby nick0425 » Dec 16, 2012 7:13 am

I will buy server from Leaseweb .
My budget is 1000usd to start file hosting .
Maybe my website server is only need SSD that can make website loading fast .

I think that file server will not have 100 people upload/download at the same time .

Anyone have any idea ?

frostyshield
Posts: 52
Joined: Nov 26, 2012 9:58 am
Location: United Kingdom

#4 Postby frostyshield » Dec 16, 2012 7:57 am

nick0425 wrote:I will buy server from Leaseweb .
My budget is 1000usd to start file hosting .
Maybe my website server is only need SSD that can make website loading fast .

I think that file server will not have 100 people upload/download at the same time .

Anyone have any idea ?


Your web server would have no need for a ssd not unless your database will be having mass amounts of access/traffic say around 100,000+ people logging in etc.

Webserver can be pretty much a dual/quad core with 8-12GB ram and a HDD thats it.

The file server however will need the big specs aka a quad core cpu, 16GB-32GB ram, a butt load of hard drives, a 1GB Connection.

nick0425
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 28, 2012 3:24 pm

#5 Postby nick0425 » Dec 23, 2012 1:13 am

frostyshield wrote:
Your web server would have no need for a ssd not unless your database will be having mass amounts of access/traffic say around 100,000+ people logging in etc.

Webserver can be pretty much a dual/quad core with 8-12GB ram and a HDD thats it.

The file server however will need the big specs aka a quad core cpu, 16GB-32GB ram, a butt load of hard drives, a 1GB Connection.


For the file server ...
Does HDD amount influence performance ?
For example ... 6x2TB SATA2 or 4x3TB SATA2 for Raid10 ?
4x3TB SATA2 HDD performance is better than 6x2TB SATA2 right ?
Does anyone have idea ?
Thanks!

frostyshield
Posts: 52
Joined: Nov 26, 2012 9:58 am
Location: United Kingdom

#6 Postby frostyshield » Dec 23, 2012 1:57 am

nick0425 wrote:For the file server ...
Does HDD amount influence performance ?
For example ... 6x2TB SATA2 or 4x3TB SATA2 for Raid10 ?
4x3TB SATA2 HDD performance is better than 6x2TB SATA2 right ?
Does anyone have idea ?
Thanks!


No the HDD amount doesn't influence performance but the little details like hard drive cache etc does also anything below 7,200RPM is literally a massive waste of performance.

nick0425
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 28, 2012 3:24 pm

#7 Postby nick0425 » Jan 05, 2013 4:30 am

My file server only need to install vsftpd ?
Do I need to install apache or nginx ?
Thanks!


Return to “XFileSharing Pro”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests