XFileSharing Pro - What is the best configuration for my server please

Guizmo

What is the best configuration for my server please

#1 Postby Guizmo » Sep 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi guys.

I just bought XFS Pro and I'm planning to migrate from MFHS to XFS because I found a lot a bugs on MFHS..

But at first, I want to know what is the BEST way to configure my server.
Here is it :

Cpu : E3-1230 3.2 Ghz
Ram : 8 GB DDR3
Disk Drive : 2 x 2 TB SataII 7.2k Ent.
Operating System Type : 32 Bit
Operating Systems : Debian 6
And 1gbit/s connection.

So what you think is the best for me ? NGINX + APACHE (I like nginx) ? Lighthttpd + Apache ? Nginx alone ?

HD are not in any RAID, I'll use only one 2TB disk at first and I'll see after..

Thanks a lot !

randy

#2 Postby randy » Sep 10, 2012 8:08 pm

depends on the traffic amount you get.

you should think about raid 1 to have a protection for your users data.

if a disc crashes you will loose a lot of customers!

the server you have will not last in my eyes for a high amount of traffic. I would use this server as file server only!

If you have 500-1000 users online at the same time this server will crash I'm sure.

The script takes a lot of ram so 8GB is less in my eyes. I know servers are not cheap but you should invest now to avoid later downtimes.

Of course it is possible to work with this server and upgrade later. But if you can afford better get a stronger server!

this is just my opinion. If somebody wants to correct me please let me know!

Also you should get at least 2 servers. 1 for main and 1 for files.

If you have no flatrate (What I think because it's $ 1000/month with 1GB line) then you should also think about the traffic!

if you have much traffic you should think about litespeed or lighthttpd and nginx for fileservers.

I just can tell you from our experiences. I'm no pro we have server admins but I can tell you that we use your configuration for some of our fileservers and they are working fine :)

For Main Site I would get Dual Cores and at least 16GB RAM with SAS discs or SSD's if you can afford.

PowerChaos

#3 Postby PowerChaos » Sep 10, 2012 8:38 pm

i realy like to correct you
and i got proof :d (i leave it up to them to react)

first of all , the server itself does not realy mather that mutch
it depends how you use it and what you use it for

my example use the Core 2 Quad 6600 (8GB ram) and runs fine with apache

only downside ( if it is a downside , no clue about amount of users) is that it use 96mbps all the time

the website itself is the site that generate the most cpu/ram
but thats because of mysql and the script requests per user ( apache)

so put your website on my webserver and it is fine ( also called shared hosting)

The fileserver itself does not mather that mutch for the amount of ram
it depends on teh apache configuration and the amount of connections it get at the same time

here is a example of my webserver
System information

Server load 2.46 (8 CPUs)
Memory Used 28.76% (3,535,200 of 12,290,068)
Swap Used 6.43% (539,232 of 8,385,920)
apache stats
Server uptime: 10 days 15 hours 43 minutes 10 seconds
Total accesses: 6685607 - Total Traffic: 2795.5 GB
average use of 09/09/2012
mysql 14.40 12.52
all others are not even at 1%
please note that i got 8 cores so it is divided by 8

The main reason why a upload site goes slow is because the amount of traffic that get used
if you can only use 100mbit and you are using 100mbit then nothing else will connect

the users who try to connect will be pending ... apache start to fall behind and start to use ram/cpu , mysql will fail to follow as apache can not follow anymore so even more ram ... and just follow the chain until a program crash and your server goes down :D

if you got more ram/cpu then it can be prevented as it got more time to restore itself and that makes ram again crutial in that ceratin situation
but for the rest ... if you split the server up in a file and webserver then it is fine

The most load goes to the webserver as it serve the pages and requests , the fileserver generate the link and provide teh download link and generate 1% cpu usage and 1% ram usage when teh fileserver is using 15% cpu and 25% ram (mysql)

if things goes slow , first check the amount of users and traffic that is in use , is it 100mbit that is in use then you know your problem
if not , then see if it is realy the ram or cpu ( #top will do the job )
in most cases it is the traffic and not the load

hopely this explained it easy enouf , can seems complicated but it is kinda easy

in short

webserver -> ram/cpu usage is high -> traffic is low
fileserver -> ram/cpu usage is low -> trafic is high

Greetings From PowerChaos

Guizmo

#4 Postby Guizmo » Sep 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for your reply randy. I forgot to explain my needs sorry.

It's a public server but only few people will be able to upload on it (max 10 users) so ~500/1000 users online downloading is really good for my needs :)

The 1gbit/s connection is shared but 100tb for the bw guaranteed (hosted by net100tb, very appreciated i heard).

Disk crashing is not really a problem too if it's our data hosted by this script, we will be able to reupload it (i know, it's not a good practice :$ i think i'll upgrade later)

So it's mandatory to have 2 servers ? Nginx for main and apache for files are not enough ?

randy

#5 Postby randy » Sep 10, 2012 8:53 pm

for my opinion. get a fast webserver and a big line for the file servers.

you should seperate it.

the main problem with your config is you only have 2x2TB discs???

so OS and files all on that discs? very dangerous my friend ;)

I would not recommend it.

I really like powerchaos replies. he always knows what he's talking about!

I answer as user and he as admin :)

so you can get 2 opinions...

my live experiences I had and from the technical side powerchaos knows what to do ;)

PowerChaos

#6 Postby PowerChaos » Sep 10, 2012 9:10 pm

if you got only 10 users that are uploading then the downloads wont be so massive (its a guess)

nomaly 2 servers are fine
1 for the files and 1 for the website or you can try to put both on the same server ( min 8GB ram recommerd then, based on amount of users .. )

the website can be nginx but it is useless(only on massive requests is it needed or low ram/cpu ) , nginx is best for the fileserver if you like to limit the speed (as it can limit download requests/speed per ip ) with out the use of dl.cgi or even with direct links ( 10 connections and max speed of 500 for example )
for the load is it useless as the load isnt high in first place

if you like i can do you a good offer for your file/webserver , but then you need to contact me (as it is up to you) to make certain deals

Greetings From PowerChaos

Guizmo

#7 Postby Guizmo » Sep 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks a lot both of you for your answers !
I'm testing with a VPS for my main server with apache, I'll see if it's enough and if not maybe I'll PM you PowerChaos.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.