Why is download speed so slow?

Powerfull XFileSharing version

Moderator: admin

Message
Author
ankurs
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mar 10, 2009 2:34 am

#16 Postby ankurs » Apr 06, 2010 4:59 am

mastypk wrote:Hello

I have servers in Softlayer & I got 1gbps dedicated port speed.

I should except speed over 25mb/s from my server.

Best Regards

be ready to move to another datacentre as you start getting dmca's

mastypk
Posts: 124
Joined: Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

#17 Postby mastypk » Apr 06, 2010 4:11 pm

I am deleting all DMCA/Reported files within 1hour. I have agreement with Softlayer, that they will not terminate me.

ankurs
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mar 10, 2009 2:34 am

#18 Postby ankurs » Apr 07, 2010 5:29 am

mastypk wrote:I am deleting all DMCA/Reported files within 1hour. I have agreement with Softlayer, that they will not terminate me.

sure thy are fine if u get 2-3 a month, how many dmca have you got so far ?

just update ur status after a month or two if you still are at SL , am sure ur gone via 100tb reseller

Timmy
Posts: 146
Joined: Feb 10, 2010 8:17 pm

#19 Postby Timmy » Apr 08, 2010 9:41 am

chrda wrote:I told you ill help you out. I tried answer your mail. did you get it?


Yes, I received your email but first I want to know what other users say about make a vhost on the same server.
Come on guys, what do you have in your server? Did you make that also?
Official support? What do you say?

ankurs
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mar 10, 2009 2:34 am

#20 Postby ankurs » Apr 08, 2010 9:47 am

Timmy wrote:
chrda wrote:I told you ill help you out. I tried answer your mail. did you get it?


Yes, I received your email but first I want to know what other users say about make a vhost on the same server.
Come on guys, what do you have in your server? Did you make that also?
Official support? What do you say?


ovh is the problem, they have good peering in Europe ; but outside that it will be slow

Timmy
Posts: 146
Joined: Feb 10, 2010 8:17 pm

#21 Postby Timmy » Apr 08, 2010 9:53 am

Thank you for your reply ankurs. What server do you suggest?
And what do you think about this?

chrda wrote:Also you shoulnd use fileserver on your main web.
Its better to make a vhost on the same server, like fs01... incase you need to move web or fileserver around..

chrda
Posts: 296
Joined: Sep 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Contact:

#22 Postby chrda » Apr 08, 2010 9:57 am

*Change your web site (not containg files) to its own server. example (worldstream) Take backup everyday to a remote place, incause your server gets shutdown.

*Keep your files on ovh server, but no new uploads (cancel server when no one is using it anymore, and files are deleted

* Get a new server with good transit in both us and eu. (100Tb or rackedge)

And all the linux security part etc...

michalss
Posts: 41
Joined: Feb 08, 2010 1:31 pm

#23 Postby michalss » Apr 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Pls do not talk rubbish about OVH coz i have a lot of servers from them each of them ded. 1GPS line and i can get speed 150 MB/s from each. The only problem is the traffic volume :( but all other is great.

chrda
Posts: 296
Joined: Sep 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Contact:

#24 Postby chrda » Apr 20, 2010 9:34 am

Where is your customer base mainly from?

jack
Posts: 8
Joined: Apr 16, 2010 1:58 am

#25 Postby jack » Apr 20, 2010 11:29 am

I have used OVH in the past and to be honest they aren't bad at all for the price that you pay. They get a bad rep in forums (like webhostingtalk) because people expect too much for what they pay.

Try to think of every situation from the other person's shoes. For example, if you were offerring the SP-09 servers (my fav) for $115 (including VAT. which probably people outside EU don't need to pay), what would you want for that money ? cheap hardware and great support or good quality hardware and bad support ? Personally, I would choose the latter, but this differs for everyone.

Their peering isn't great in their unmetered deals because to offer servers at that price, corners need to be cut somewhere. Just to put it into perspective, a $115 server from OVH costs ~$2,400 from Softlayer. Softlayer has the best service all round and they make you pay for it.

You can't buy a [insert name of generic budget car] and expect it to run like a ferrari. You might be able to paint it to look like one, but thankfully OVH has higher standards than that. They don't lie to you and tell you what you are exactly getting for the price.

Edit : Most important point - If you are running your file servers with standard Apache configurations and/or using dl.cgi then a 1 Gbps line is a waste. You configuration will become a bottleneck much before your network capacity. In such situations, it is best to stick to multiple 100 Mbps servers or, if you want to use 1 Gbps then you will need to optimize your server to be used as a file server.
Try testing your download speeds using wget and if you are able to maximize your speeds there but unable to do so with the script, then you know where the problem lies. And believe me, the script is not the problem, your configuration is. My file servers run at an average of 92% of the max download speed and max at 99% for months in a row.
Last edited by jack on Apr 20, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrda
Posts: 296
Joined: Sep 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Contact:

#26 Postby chrda » Apr 20, 2010 11:36 am

You get "Softlayer" servers with 100Tb BW / Month for 200$ and up..
100Tb.com

# 2 x 500GB HDD
# 8GB RAM
# 1 GigE (1000Mbit) port
# 100TB monthly transfer

And you get "leaseweb network" servers with 100TB BW / Month from 199€
They also offer 99€ server with 50TB
Rackegde.com WTH forum post

Much better choice i would say

jack
Posts: 8
Joined: Apr 16, 2010 1:58 am

#27 Postby jack » Apr 20, 2010 11:53 am

chrda wrote:You get "Softlayer" servers with 100Tb BW / Month for 200$ and up..
100Tb.com

# 2 x 500GB HDD
# 8GB RAM
# 1 GigE (1000Mbit) port
# 100TB monthly transfer

And you get "leaseweb network" servers with 100TB BW / Month from 199€
They also offer 99€ server with 50TB
Rackegde.com WTH forum post

Much better choice i would say


100tb servers are that cheap because they have hidden conditions which they do not tell you upfront. For example, BW overages are charged at $0.20/GB. Also 1 TB of storage space doesn't really do much for a file server. They are not very flexible with upgrades too. Most of the time, if you wish to add additional hard drives, they tell you that they can add a max of 4 HD. This can be solved by buying a biga** server right from the start (36 HD i think) but for someone starting out, it might not be the best option.

Leaseweb is definitely an option to consider. However, most of their high bandwidth packages tend to come with limited space which makes it impossible to push 100 tb a month. Their biggest server is quite good (24*1.5 TB) but last I checked, it was twice the price of OVH and also the price on the first page is for annual payment which goes up by 20% or something when you pay monthly.

There is no single host that will cater to anybody's needs. People first need to decide what kind of service they want to operate - a budget service with cheap bandwidth or a premium service. There are other factors as well but that is for the admins to figure out :)

I do not use OVH for any real life applications but I would say that they are good for starting out. It is better to make your mistakes on an OVH server than on a higher priced one.

In any case, admins first need to optimize their configuration because I have seen sites with 100tb servers failing when they reach a few thousand users. This is even before they become popular enough to have bots raid their site, because that is when the real fun begins.

Edit - I realized now, that by Leaseweb servers, you meant RE who co-locate there. I think they are a fairly new company so personally, I wouldn't jump onto their bandwagon right now. You can never be sure if they are overselling and last I checked, they didn't have a lot of reviews on WHT. I am not discounting them, it's just a personal choice. I like to wait and see if they are stil running 6 months from now because when a company is starting out, everyone gets great speeds because the lines are not congested. In a few months, this might change if the host doesn't invest in more infrastructure (which usually happens when they oversell) and also I prefer to directly deal with data center's because they have a much lesser chance of shutting down and this removes a lot of uncertainities.

chrda
Posts: 296
Joined: Sep 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Contact:

#28 Postby chrda » Apr 20, 2010 12:09 pm

100Tb.com offers HW raid 10 with 4x2TB for about 500$
Add 300-400$ for 1Gbit Unmetered

So the "hidden condition" is solved there. you just need to watch the usage.
When you close to about 100TB you need a upgrade.
If you use 100TB you should be starting to make money..

Use RackEdge for better pricing and custom servers on the Leaseweb Network.
Edit: They have been in business for 3 years now.

Else you can use a company called Swiftway.co.uk for custom server and bw options. They got about 1€ per Mbit

You get what you pay for! :)

jack
Posts: 8
Joined: Apr 16, 2010 1:58 am

#29 Postby jack » Apr 20, 2010 1:03 pm

chrda wrote:100Tb.com offers HW raid 10 with 4x2TB for about 500$
Add 300-400$ for 1Gbit Unmetered

So the "hidden condition" is solved there. you just need to watch the usage.
When you close to about 100TB you need a upgrade.
If you use 100TB you should be starting to make money..

Use RackEdge for better pricing and custom servers on the Leaseweb Network.
Edit: They have been in business for 3 years now.

Else you can use a company called Swiftway.co.uk for custom server and bw options. They got about 1€ per Mbit

You get what you pay for! :)


I didn't know that about RE, they are probably a good option to consider. I have looked at swiftway before and they do seem to be quite good and also highly customizable which I do like.

However, when I start, I always prefer to go down the low cost route. For example, when my site had 40,000 uniques a day and an Alexa rank lesser than 10,000 my total expense on servers was just $690. I am not asking anyone else to try the same but I could manage such low costs because I knew how to. Just saying that it is possible...

To top it off, I have never set download limits for free users apart from 1 parallel download at a time. You can imagine how much of a raid fest that would be.

By following the low cost route, I could manage to break even from the 2nd month onwards which gave me a sense of security which is necessary if you wish to grow aggressively. I believe that to make a racing car more efficient, you need to first make it efficient internally before adding more engines. You can't compete with the big dogs just by adding more firepower, because for every server that you can afford, they will buy a 100.

awaisuk
Posts: 39
Joined: May 25, 2009 4:08 am

#30 Postby awaisuk » Apr 20, 2010 4:06 pm

OVH states this:

Traffic is unlimited. If you exceed 5 TB / month, the connection will be limited to 10 Mbps. 100 Mbps you will be allocated additional TB(s) of traffic with this purchase. £14.90 per additional TB.

5TB is nothing when running a filehosting site.

Can you give me a link to a good reasonable server with 100mbit unmetered bandwidth on the OVH site?


Return to “XFileSharing Pro”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest